How to see exact changes in automation levels

Hi guys -
Recently jumped from Cubase 9 to 10.5.

Generally speaking, I like some of the changes to how we can automate – the range tool easily lowering stuff, for example.

But one thing… I’m often not able to see precisely how much I’m changing a value. In old versions, I’d see the exact value of a parameter in the info line at the top of my main window. Yes, if I simply create a point, obviously, THEN I can see its value (just like the old versions). But if I select a range, and pull it down, shouldn’t I see the amount I have changed? Either within the info bar, or within a little pop up?

I’ve watched a lot of tutorials on Youtube (plus skimmed the new manual) hoping to find a solution. Surely I’m missing something.
Thanks!
Paul

Hi,

In this case, you can see the new value of the most top-left selected event.

HI Martin
Thanks for the reply.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your suggestion only seems to work if I’ve already got a few automation points created. I can then, yes, use the pointer to grab a group of points and move them. And yep, the info line displays the value of the left-most point.

But what about the range tool? For example, let’s say my volume line has no points yet. If I grab and pull down a section of the volume line… where can I see either the current value, or the amount changed? The only way I see to do this is if my playhead is within the affected area. Surely there is another way, as being able to determine the amount changed is crucial.

Could you please advise?
Thanks

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

When using the range tool in automation, how do you see either a reference value, or the amount changed?

For example, let’s say my volume line has no points yet. If I grab and pull down a section of the volume line… where can I see either the current value, or the amount changed? The only way I see to do this is if my playhead is within the affected area. Surely there is another way, as being able to determine the amount changed is crucial.

Hi,

If you use the Range tool, you unfortunately don’t see the values.

Thanks for getting back to me on this, Martin. Man, that’s so strange. I hope that can be corrected in future releases. Because as convenient as the range tool is, not being able to see the values makes me FAR less likely to use it. It’s rather difficult to “guesstimate,” as how much you affect the automation line depends on how wide your automation lane is. Seems a surprising oversight.

Hi,

I’m afraid, this will not change. I would say the specification is to show the Range data in the Info Line, while the Range Tool is selected.

Hey Martin –
Not sure I know what you mean… that’s sorta what I’m looking for… the range data to be shown in the info line. Currently the info line shows the start and stop points, plus overall range length, but – once altered – why can’t it show the amount moved?
Thanks man.

Hi,

My point is, it is working as specified, right now. And I understand the specification and the reason. So I wouldn’t really expect a change here. But that’s just my own opinion.