How To Select Midi IN Channel? (Not MIDI Channel)

ok wow got it. idk why but there are two VEP plugins in my folder in cubase for some reason, and one functions normally and the other doesn’t.

weird.

To delete Racks, you have to go to the Rack and click the plugin name window. It will bring up the dialog as if you were going to load an instrument. The first choice is No Instrument.

hmm… no idea. Are you sure you weren’t selecting the VEP EVENT Input?

i usually use the one that says x64 when using the vst (in LIVE) so that’s what i selected here but for some reason cubase had another one without the x64 designation?

at any rate i really appreciate all the time you put in here. if you wouldn’t mind answering two other questions? i can’t seem to delete a rack or rack folder the way i can right click and remove other tracks, know what’s going on?

also is it normal that when Cubase is not in focus that you don’t hear midi playback? i.e., if i click over to my Chrome browser and play on the keyboard i hear nothing until i switch back over to the Cubase window.

yes 100% didn’t select event input

sorry didn’t see you answered the delete question

I just posted how to remove the extra instruments. You have to get rid of the children VSTi before you can delete the folder. Once the folder is empty by either moving everything out or deleting of instance you should be able to Shift+Del the folder.

Just an FYI, Rack Instruments are the oldschool way of doing things. I still use them myself. But, they do have some idiosyncrasies like the coming out in a folder. The track inside that folder is a block that represents the VSTi + a track for each audio output enabled for that Instrument. This is the old method keeping MIDI, VSTi and Audio separate. I still prefer this approach as it provides clear and concise separation of configuration and concerns.

About the audio, the only thing I can think of is that you have “release audio in background” preference in the VST Audio configuration.

yup, that was it! so much help over there, thanks man

out of curiosity, what’s the “new” way? the rack method was what i saw Paul tell people to do so i just went with it

Instrument Tracks. So right click and add track … choose Instrument track. It will basically be a single track for midi/audio and the VSTi. Over the years the Instrument track has been updated to the point that there are very few differences between Instrument and Rack Instruments. One of the huge advantages to Instrument tracks is they let you do Track Presets … .Rack Instruments don’t. But there are couple of downsides like you can’t rename output 1/2.

So you if you using a VSTi that you will control from a single MIDI channel, you should use Instrument Tracks.

instrument tracks is how they’ve done it in PT for years, that was what i did at first but every says racks are the best way to work in cubase so…

nah, Instrument tracks are fine as long as you comprehend the difference between MIDI, Audio and VSTi. You’ll still have a bunch of MIDI tracks. But the core track will be the Instrument track pointing at a VEP instance. And you can restore them from a preset into projects.