How to start a slur on a rest?

I’m attempting to recreate the look of a piano piece that has a repeating pattern with one note in the left hand and three in the right. In the original, there is a slur over the RH rest to the end of the RH pattern. I can’t seem to find a way to replicate that in Dorico. The slur won’t start on a rest, and if I start in the LH, then it’s quite ugly - crossing staves and splitting rests. I can manually move it, but there are a couple of pages of this pattern and that would take a bit of work. Examples are below - the first is the original, the second is Dorico.

Fairly easy. Enter a 16th note there in voice 2, make it transparent, hide the stem, hide the extra rests. Then you can click and Cmd-click the start and end notes for the slur.

Oh, and you can copy-paste those “hidden” notes as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention you will need to change the vertical offset for those visible rests to 0.

Thanks, Dan. That works. I’m not sure it’s any easier than manually moving the end point in Engrave mode. But at least I have an option. I hate manually adjusting things if I don’t have to.

It sounds like more of a pain than it actually is, honestly. You can copy and paste all of that hidden stuff in one shot.

Tbh, in the example you show, why not just have the first note of each group down stem in the treble stave? This way of engraving seems rather fiddly and unnecessary. With the down stem it will still be clear it’s for the LH but then you avoid all the unnecessary rests. (To be clear, I’m not saying the example is wrong. There is simply more than one way to accomplish this.)

I agree there are better ways to do this. But I was trying to replicate the original, as closely as possible. Dan’s method worked for that. All the extra rests are a nuisance, as far as I’m concerned. But I’m not the boss on this one, unfortunately.

It should be the case that if you hide the rests, then copy and paste the notes, they will retain their start/end voice properties. So the rests will only need to be hidden the first time.

I prefer a custom notehead set with rest noteheads, personally. It means everything’s held in one voice so there are no rests to hide.

Is this still the state-of-the-art in 5.1? I’m trying to find the best solution to avoid collisions in the example below.
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 2.41.52 PM

1 Like

Yes, there’s no change in this area.

Leo, could you explain how you created that custom set with rest noteheads?

EDIT: No need to answer Leo. I found this thread which was helpful:

Notehead set problem - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

1 Like