How to stop Cubase from muting channels on exit

I am using Cubase 13 with my Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, and for some reason whenever I close Cubase it mutes the channels I’ve been recording from and change the panning to one side.
It’s kind of a pain, because I use those channels outside of Cubase too, so I always have to go to the console and unmute them and restore the panning to the center.

I couldn’t find anywhere in the options menu that seemed relevant to this behaviour. Anyone got any idea?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Do you use any MIDI Remote device or Mackie Control or something similar? To me it looks like some hardeware sends a MIDI data doing this, while closing Cubase.

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please? Or even try to rename/remove all Cubase versions preferences folders to get the factory settings?

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% \Steinberg\Cubase X_64

Where the X is the Cubase version (for example 13).

Hi Martin.
No, I don’t have anything hooked up to it. It’s pretty much just guitars to audio interface.
And it’s not happening with any other DAW I use.

I’ll try your suggestions and see if that works.

Hi Martin.
Tried to remove preferences and it made no difference.
To be honest I’m not surprised, the only thing I’ve changed from factory settings is the colour scheme.

Any other ideas?
If this is not a default behaviour (which is what I assumed), maybe should I uninstall and reinstall?

Hi,

Could you please attach a screenshot before closing (when all settings is correct) and after reopening (when the channels are Muted and panned)?

Sorry, Martin.
I actually lost track of this thread.
Anyway the problem is still happening.

To be extra clear, I’m using Roland’s Octa-Capture audio interface, and Cubase is muting the Octa-Capture’s channels on exit. And specifically the ones I engaged while working with Cubase.

Here is the Octa-Capture’s control.
After engaging channels 1 and 2 in Cubase, when I click ‘quit Cubase’, it exists and does this:

Channels 1-2, the channels I used in my track, have been muted and for some reason panned to the left.

And this happens every time I quit Cubase.
And it does not happen with any other DAW.

I wonder if it’s a case of some conflict between Cubase and the Octa-Capture’s windows drivers.

Hi,

Make sure, the Octa-Capture is not controlled by MIDI in any way. My expectation is, Cubase seems some reset value via some virtual MIDI Port to the Octa-Capture’s mix.

The Octa-capture is not connected to any midi device. Is connected to the PC by USB, and then to studio monitors. That’s it. And this happens with no other device connected, no midi keyboard, nothing.

I honestly have no idea where this could be coming from. :confused:

In case someone else comes across this problem - I finally figured it out!
It seems that in my Asio driver settings I had the option ‘use Asio direct monitor’ checked. Unchecking it solved the problem.