How to Stop Dorico Pro 3 filling the Recycle Bin

Hello dear colleagues and team,
I’m trying to find a way to stop the automatic trashing of the backups. Is there a way to turn of this function?
Would be nice if Dorico handles the backups the same way as Cubase does - automatically overwriting the existing ones, without moving files to the
Recycle bin. :slight_smile:
As we all know the SSD drives have shorter life period than the HDDs, which depends mainly on writing data, so would be nice if we can reduce the
writing of unnecessary data into the System SSD.

If there is no way, I hope the team would be able to solve this little issue! :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

We decided to make Dorico move backups and auto-saves to the trash/Recycle Bin when they are rotated or discarded because a couple of users have had the unfortunate experience that the location of the auto-save folder got mixed up with the location of their default project folder (which we took steps to avoid in Dorico 3 in any case), and ended up having all of their projects deleted when they quit Dorico. Now at least if anything untoward happens, those files end up in the trash/Recycle Bin and can be recovered. We have no current plans to change this behaviour or introduce an option to control it, but that doesn’t discount us from changing it at some point in the future, of course.

@Thurisaz: I wouldn’t worry too much about wearing out your SSD. For example, Samsung specifies its 850 Pro SATA SSDs at a minimum of 150 TBW (terabytes written) until it can be expected to wear out (and expects 600 TBW to be more likely). Even at 150 TBW, you’d have to write 40 GB each day for ten years before that limit is reached. Since you should be making frequent backups for reasons other than disk failures anyway, SSD wear is not the primary risk to worry about.

A recent test by c’t showed that the Samsung 850 Pro only failed after 9.1 petabytes, 60 times more than advertised. Even cheaper SSDs managed more than 2.5 times the declared TBW.

If you really want to, you can easily stop this. Just switch off auto-saving in Preferences.

(And don’t complain later when you lose something important…)

Daniel, thank you for the reply! :slight_smile:
Well, I hope you’ll take the decision to change this behavior in the near future! :slight_smile: You have Cubase as great example how the backups should be
handled. Different extensions for the project files and backups, and they are all saved in the Project’s main folder without any issues, and unwanted
moving to the Recycle Bin. Smart and logical decision by the team behind Cubase. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Rob hello,
Of course I don’t want to turn off the Auto-Saving! :slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong! Since Cubase and Nuendo already offer smarter and better backup
system… it could be just integrated into Dorico, nothing more. :slight_smile:

Greetings :slight_smile:

I switched off auto-save and that did not do it. I had to set “number of backups” to zero. Then it stopped.

Maybe when SSDs were first introduced, this was a concern, but nowadays, the lifetime of an SSD is long enough for you not to worry about ‘conserving’ precious writes.