How to submit "Dorico Diagnostics.zip"?

Is this a good way to submit one of those “Dorico Diagnostics.zip” files that you get when Dorico crashes (presumably it’s a crash dump or some such)? I’m on Windows.

I’m pretty much always on the latest version of Dorico, but over the past say 6 months (at least), I’ve been unable to open more than one project at a time without my audio driver crashing (and I can’t close a project without a crash if I’m listening to a video in a browser).

My audio interface is an RME Fireface UCX (the first gen, not a UCX II), and here are the driver deets (and this is the latest driver you can get for this hardware):

ASIO Driver: ASIO Fireface USB

Windows Vista/7/8/10 driver

Windows WDM and ASIO 2.3 support

Driver date: 16.03.22

Driver version: 1.221

Hardware revision 48

My OS is Windows 10 Pro, 22H2.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (885.8 KB)

Welcome to the forum! Indeed this is the place to post these files and surely a team member will look at your diagnostics as soon as they can arrange it.

IMG_0742

I was wondering when I’d be seeing you.

Welcome to the forum @Steven_White. If you can’t yet attach files because you’re a new member, just have a read through a few threads so your status upgrades.

Hi @Steven_White , welcome also from my side.
Thanks for the diagnostics. In the logs I can see that in your previous run the entries suddenly stop as if the audio engine crashed, however the diagnostics does not contain any crash file. So it as well could be, that the audio engine just deadlocks instead of crashing.
To find out, please download the free utility Process Explorer and run it. In the upper right corner of that window is a filter where it says “Filter by name”. In that filter field just type the three letters vst. Is there anything shown then, maybe as “not responding”. If so, do a right click on that item and from the pop up menu choose Create > Create mini dump. Please post the resulting file after zipping it up to a reply here. Thanks

2024.3.31 11.21.57.403.dmp (704.2 KB)

My apologies, I neglected to read the error dialog closely enough. :slight_smile: It says “A serious problem has occurred: Please […] restart VSTAudioEngine5.exe. […] please contact […] and the created file <users/user>/Documents/Steinberg/CrashDumps/.dmp.”

So I’ve attached that file (a fresh repro from today). Repro steps: open a project, and then open a second project (that’s all). Wait for a second, and boom.

However, I also followed your instructions, and manually created a minidump for VSTAudioEngine5.exe (via the 64-bit build of Process Explorer). Even after zipping it, that file is 16MB, and uploading to here has a limit of 4MB. Incidentally, in Process Explorer, VSTAudioEngine5.exe’s CPU usage value was still fluctuating; I dunno whether that indicates it’s not hung. I guess its main thread could have been hung, with worker threads responsible for the ostensible continuing activity. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
-Steve

Hi @Steven_White , thanks for the data.
I ran the dump file through my debugger and it clearly shows me a crash in the fireface_usb_asio_64.dll, so that is the audio driver of your RME device. So in this case we can’t do anything, you need to elevate that dump file to RME and ask them for a fix.
Also thank you for creating manually a dump file. That one I only wanted to have for the case that the VSTAudioEngine process is around and marked as “not responding”. Was that the case when you created the dump file?
When too big, you can send it directly to me under u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de.

Thanks, Ulf, it’s good to know that Dorico isn’t the issue here! :).

As for VSTAudioEngine5. exe, I didn’t see anything in Process Explorer about it being unresponsive. But tbh I wasn’t sure which column to look in. Certainly none of the default columns said so.

I clicked Ok in the error dialog, but then neither of the two projects (two instances of Dorico) were responsive. I ended up having to kill one of the instances, and the other went away. It’s actually after re-launching Dorico that I got a set of different dialogs indicating that the audio engine can’t be contacted (or some such), and then that third instance of Dorico fell over, and that’s when I got the Dorico Diagnostics.zip file. Anyway, as you say, this is case for RME.

Thanks again!
-Steve

Send me that manually created dump anyway, please.

Thank you, it’s on its way. :slight_smile:

-Steve

Well, I was wrong again. While looking at RME’s website for a support contact, I realized that there is in fact a later driver. I really thought I was on the latest one. Anyway, installing the latest (1.249), I can confirm that the problem has gone away, and I can now have two projects open at the same time again.

Thanks for the support, everyone, and sorry for my noise and time-wasting! :frowning:

-Steve

1 Like

Excellent, great to hear. Have fun with Dorico!

Greetings Ulf -
I am new to Dorico. Elements 5 Purchased one week ago.
Dorico is simply off-the-charts fantastic!
My heartfelt congratulations to the entire team.

I am mentioning this in here as a very small item; because my sense now is that I am the problem, not the software

But if my brief description suggests to you that I should submit the file, I will be most happy to. It seems to be related to the audio, (and possibly insufficient RAM).
I am running an iMac with OSX 13.6.6 (Ventura) 8 Gig of RAM.
(I intend to upgrade to a 32 Gig RAM Mac, now that I am comfortable).
NotePerformer 4 is the playback engine.
The sequence of ensuring that Dorico is closed, and Bluetooth headphones are initialized prior to launching Dorico must be followed, otherwise the audio will will route through internal iMac speakers.
I attempted to open another instance of Dorico to do a flow comparison and it crashed. Re-initializing it took a little longer than I expected ( and I worried for a moment!) , but it retrospect, I suspect it was running diagnostics.

Thank you for your time.
Wishing you and the entire Dorico team an enjoyable summer.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Gary. You shouldn’t try to run multiple instances of Dorico at the same time: you can, however, open multiple projects at the same time, and you can choose whether or not each of the projects you open after the first should be activated for playback. If you are opening a second project to e.g. copy and paste from or to, I’d recommend not activating it for playback, as it is quicker to switch between open projects when Dorico can simply leave the audio setup alone. Otherwise, each time you switch between projects, Dorico has to unload the sounds from the first and reload them into the second, and this will take at least a couple of seconds every time you switch.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply, Mr. Spreadbury ( I hope that is correct).
That makes perfect sense.
Will do.

Hi Dan (@dspreadbury) -
I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to submit this.
I googled this, but the search returned information on Dorico 3,
and I cannot (yet) find a related topic in Dorico 5 to add my question.
I am not sure how to create a new Topic Thread, or if one is even warranted.
I am attempting to add a half-note triplet at the end of a measure.
and have tried everything I can think of to isolate the triplet to that specific measure, but it keeps extending the triple to the next measure.
I don’t mean to be a bother; kindly let me know how I should proceed should I encounter a “head-scratcher” in the future.
Many thanks in advance.

Triplet 2.

A half-note triplet fills a whole bar of 4/4, or 2/2. If you start one halfway through a bar, it is split in half by the next barline, so Dorico notates it as two quarter-note triplets. You can still enter half notes, and the second one will show as two tied quarters. There are other ways of displaying it, but I don’t recommend them for this case.

1 Like

When you create a tuplet you can either specify the base of the tuplet or implicitly use the current selected note duration as the base.

If you choose a tuplet duration that cannot fit into the current bar, Dorico will split the tuplet across barlines.

To create a tuplet with 3 half notes fitting into the space of 1 half note (as you appear to want), be explicit: press ; (to invoke the tuplet popover) and enter 3:1h (3 half notes in the time of 1 half).

If you had the half note duration selected and you entered the tuplet as ;3:2 then Dorico will give you a 3 half tuplet in the time of 2 half notes (which is what is shown in your example).

1 Like

@ Mark_Johnson
Hi Mark - Thank you very much for your quick reply.
My description was as clear as mud. And I apologize.
What I am attempting to write in -and only in- that measure is illustrated in the attached image.
The next measure will likely start with a quarter note.

@janus
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
My description was as clear as mud. And I apologize.
What I am attempting to write in -and only in- that measure is illustrated in the attached image.
The next measure will likely start with a quarter note.

The same logic applies. You want a tuplet consisting of 3 quarter notes in the space of two quarters. So open the tuplet popover (;) and enter 3:2q

1 Like