How to use remove rest without affecting formatting of bar repeats (with rhythmic cues)?

I’m trying to add rhythm cues in a bar repeat section on a kit part. Before I remove rests I have this:

And after I remove those rests I get this:

After looking round the forum I can see that ending the voice at the end of bar 22 is what causes the bars to crumple up like that.

So I’m wondering what the solution is to keep that rhythm cue and proper spacing but not have any other rests in the bar? Project attached for reference, cheers!

Untitled Project 1.dorico (756.4 KB)

I realised I could just rescale the rests to ‘hide’ them which kinda works but leaves an uneven spacing in the bars which looks off to my eyes:

If it’s a rhythmic cue from elsewhere in the band, you could use the cue popover (Shift-U) in the score to cue in from another instrument. Because it’s cueing to a drum set, it’ll be a rhythmic cue by default (as far as the properties are concerned), and as long as the cue is only an eighth/quaver long, there’s no reason that the Hide rests around cue property shouldn’t do just that.

By way of example I dropped in a Trumpet player and this single note in the score:

and cued it into the drum set. Part looks like this by default:

Set these properties:

With your initial method, if you force the first rest, double-dot it (Alt-. a couple of times)

and then scale/color that, the result’s better:

…but I do wonder if your desired notation is really clear without the rests.

Would something like this make more sense, perhaps?

1 Like

Hey Leo, I’m trying to make your excellent cue suggestion work, keeping in mind I specifically want a crash cymbal note there, at the same size as the others. This is the closest I can get, as you can see it’s missing a ledger line and is cue sized instead of full sized:

Is there anything I can do to make those notes match whilst keeping the cue solution (which would definitely be the most elegant way of doing this)

Alternatively, I think your double dotted rest is a good starting point, and I can then pull around the note spacing to match things up, but this does feel like a more hacky solution.

As for not including the rests, I hear what you’re saying but I’ve seen a ton of show parts that do this and now I just automatically assume that a quaver note at the end of a bar is a quaver push.

Please upload the latest version so I can see how you’ve got to this point - thanks.

Untitled Project 1.dorico (590.7 KB)

Sure thing, I’ve trimmed out the superfluous bars.

Ah - and now I need to dash out and hadn’t seen your file before I constructed the attached. Hopefully the attached is self-explanatory (I’ve cued in from another kit, manually overridden the notehead and scaled it back up to Normal size, actually within the Cue).

On the plus side it should copy and paste elsewhere nicely, albeit you’d need to do that in a dummy score layout, selecting both the underlying notation and the cue, which feels a little bit workaroundy.

drums edited LN.dorico (777.3 KB)

1 Like

Amazing stuff Leo… It is a bit of a workaround but can’t fault the results at all, looks spot on!

Big thanks for your help, that’s made my afternoon significantly easier. How many beers do I owe you now for this and other solutions in the past? We’re not quite at double figures yet, but getting there!