How to write drums in Dorico?

Hi, does anyone know to write for the drum in Dorico? What clef should be used?
It looks like a silly question but I’m asking because I have tried using several drum plug ins (such as EZ Drummer or Sample Tank) and the notes are always out of the staff whether if I use a GM sample or not.
See my attachment please
Thanks in advance for your time and help
Best regards
Mike

This video might help you

1 Like

Hi andgle
Thanks for your prompt response
I’ll take a look at that video. I’m sure that the answer of what I’m looking for is there.
Thanks again
Mike

Here’s what I found:
Set preferences…

Then import MIDI works pretty well…

midiDrums.png
drums2.jpg

Hi, andgle, as you suggested me, I was watching the video <Percussion | New Features in Dorico 1.2> in order to set my percussion and drum sets. It clarifies several questions I was asking myself … but I’m stuck right in this step…in here (please watch attachment)
How do you access this window ? General Midi / Percussion map?
It is a little bit confusing…is there a PDF. Dorico manual where one can look for answers like this and / or any other question? or just tutorials?
Thanks again for your help
Regards
Mike

Hi,Derrek, thanks for your suggestions…watching the tutorial <Percussion | New Features in Dorico 1.2 > I also found this part that you sent me…thanks …I understand that, but I’m stuck right in this step…in here (please watch attachment)
The tutorial says that Dorico handles the playback of unpitched percussion by default (I have not try any symphonic percussion yet but the drum set definitely needs to be reset) and also that Dorico gets us the control to use the sound libraries we own. (I tried using EZ drummer and Sample Tank and also Halion SE but they don’t work.) Then in order to be able to do that we have to go to Percussion map, and, I don’t know how to get there.
How do you access this window ? General Midi / Percussion map?
It is a little bit confusing…is there a PDF. Dorico manual where one can look for answers like this and / or any other question? or just tutorials?
Thanks for your help in advance
Regards
Mike

Go to play mode. Under the ‘Play’ menu, you should find ‘Percussion maps…’.
Better documentation is supposed to come next week.

Hi angle, sorry but I don’t see it(please see attachment)
If more documentation is on its way that’s good news…
Thanks again
Regards
Mike

Here you go

Hi andgle
Ah! ok thanks a lot!

Hey angle good morning
Man… I’m frustrated. I had to go back to Sibelius in order to finish my score on time.
What Dorico is achieveing is very promissing, but it is not easy to deal with
I hate when I try to make music and technology crosses in the middle of the creative path and instead of helping, it puts obstacles.
For some reason that I don’t get, I can’t get any sound.
I decided to try the easiest way first, namely, using HalionSE2, which it is suppose to come already set by default.
I finally I found the way to write for drums correctly (please ee attachment 1) but neither HSE GM drum rock kit nor Rock Standard Kit 1 set work.(see attachment 2)
I wonder what am I doing wrong, or perhaps better say, what am I not doing right! ha, ha!
If i use HSE2 instead of a third party drum set, I’m not supposed to do anything, right? I mean, I don’t have to go to Drum Map and make changes there?
I’m sorry for the inconveniences.
Thanks for all your help so far.
Regards
Mike

1Drum Set Writing.png

Hi angle sorry I misspelled your name

Mike, try doing Play > Apply Default Playback Template to let Dorico reassign the sounds, and you should find that the drum kit plays back with no problems.

Hi.
I tried several third party drum kits (acoustic sample-uvi, Vienna jazz drums and native instruments vintage drummer with kontakt). When I press a note (edit-mode) I can hear the right sound but not on playback. On playback I only hear some sounds as cymbals, but kick drums and snare are missing. With halion SE everything works fine, but I would like to use different sounds. What is going wrong?
Thanks for help,
Chris

Assuming the drum patches you’re using all conform to the General MIDI percussion mapping, then it should be as simple as making sure in the Endpoint Setup dialog (the cog icon to the left of the name of the VST plug-in in the VST Instruments rack) that the Percussion Map column is set to General MIDI for the channel(s) on which your drum sounds are loaded. If you’re using something other than GM percussion, then you’ll need to set up your own drum map in the Play > Percussion Maps dialog.

Hi Daniel thanks for your response…I tried what you suggested but no, I still can not get the drums sound,using HSE2
Thanks again
Mike

Hi, does anyone know to write for the drum in Dorico? What clef should be used?

Dear newsekaaina,

Just create a player with the right instrument, and you should not have to deal with a clef for unpitched percussions…

Use the new y key to input “notes”