How will Cubase perform on this spec?

Hi All,

For the past 7 years I’ve had a macbook pro with Logic Pro 9 on it. I now need a new laptop for general personal use, and don’t really need another mac so I’m looking at Windows with Cubase, which I find easier to use anyway.
My main use of Cubase would be

• Recording small acoustic projects (Piano, acoustic guitar, percussion, vocals)
  • Creating mash-ups/medleys which could be 20+ tracks of short clips of mp3 audio totalling around 5 minutes in length
  • Adding audio to videos I’ve thrown together in a simple video editing software.

So nothing too strenuous.

I’m looking at an HP laptop with

• 15.6" full HD WLED display
  • 2.7GHz AMD Quad-Core A12-9720P with turbo boost up to 3.6GHZ
  • AMD Radeon 530 Graphics (2GB DDR3 dedicated)
  • 8GB RAM

Will Cubase run smoothly on this? The CPU and GPU are designed for gaming really but I’ve no idea how that translates to using music software.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Can we utilise turbo boost with a DAW or is the clock speed locked via 1 of the settings when we fine tune performance?

This should be enough for basic projects, but if budget allows it wouldn’t be a bad idea to look for something with a faster CPU. Take a look at benchmarks, not just their GHz alone. You’ll want something with a good balance between overall performance and single core performance if you plan to use CPU-heavy VST effects.