How would you number repeated bars for the performer

Sorry if i was a bit ambiguous: the piece is more than 60 bars long, someome has to repeat one pattern (1bar) 60x, and this repeated passage is somewhere in the middle of an orchestral snaredrum part.

Dorico does this automatically if you use bar repeat regions, though I can understand you not wanting to use them. I’ve afraid you’ll have to use Text, which is more or less what you would’ve done in other softwares.

Is there a reason you can’t just use shift-X text every four or eight bars?

You mean this sign % with bar repeat regions…?
You can’t give that to a classical orchestral player, or at least my publisher will refuse it :wink:

In Finale i had a plugin doing that for me, searching for repeated patterns in a specific region and numbering them…
Not everything is bad in other programs :wink:

I am not free in my decision and I need it above every bar following this pattern: 1 (-60) 2 3 4 5 … etc.
(Working for Schott Music and other publishers with a special house style)

Luís, you prompted me to find a workaround (and I’m really chuffed with this one)

Jörg, use bar repeat regions, and then go to Engrave > Music Symbols. Then just:

1. Go to Bar Repeats category.
  2. Select Repeat last bar.
  3. Click the trash can.
  4. Hit OK.

Of course you won’t be able to use actual bar repeats in this project, but I can’t imagine that’ll be a problem.

I did mean that, but as I said, I obviously understood why that wasn’t an option for you.

Wow! You should be chuffed! This is a pretty great! I almost never have to use bar repeats, so I would never think of this in a million years. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, this is a great one, fast, and with almost every control option i need, thank you.
Sadly you can’t filter them to move the numbers out of the music easily…

Thank you @pianoleo ! This is exactly the workaround I was looking for ! Alternatively, you can change the X and Y scale to zero to “hide” the symbol instead of deleting it.

Just how we can show or hide the parenthesis for the bar repeat numbers, they should add a feature to allow us to show or hide the “%” symbol for bar repeats. Especially with chamber music that repeats the same bar many times, but changes dynamics during the bar repeats. We want to see all the notes in the bar with a number above to aid counting and don’t need/want the “%” symbol to appear.

Personally, I use (and delete) small slashes for this, in case I need slashes or bar repeats elsewhere.

This would be a really nice feature to have, especially if it worked like cues so it actually referenced the first bar (so any changes there would be reflected in all the repeats.

Besides classical and those with style requirements, anyone who deals with Broadway style charts absolutely needs this feature. Not ‘would be nice to have’ but Need.

The workaround is pretty cool.

This would be a really nice feature to have, especially if it worked like cues so it actually referenced the first bar (so any changes there would be reflected in all the repeats.

With show books, cuts, additions and the like follow a similar format. It’s needed to keep track of changes etc. until the show is locked into its final format. That can be weeks after opening, by the way. Even with the workaround, Dorico is a long, long way off from being the right tool for that environment.

Fortunately, as has been pointed out, Finale has had this functionality for years.

When I and others insist that Dorico isn’t ready for prime time, it ruffles feathers but things like this and inadequate MusicXML handling are what we are talking about—as encouraging as recent developments are (and they are encouraging).

When I purchased my cross-grade, I was doing paid beta. I’m ok with that as it doesn’t expire and I get to see new releases as they happen.

I needed to number repeated bars recently in a project and I used Leo’s clever workaround. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, you can only position the numbers globally using the bar repeat category, meaning that they’ll be colliding with the music in some bars and/or way too high in other bars. I expect that when the Dorico staff gets around to implementing this, it’ll be well thought-out.

Just want to add my voice to this request. Leo’s workaround is excellent, but I’m running into the same limitations (and it’s still technically a workaround). Thanks.

…and Claude’s version of my suggested method is even better, because it means you can use repeat bar sections elsewhere in the project.

Slash region? How does that work? Don’t the slashes hide the notes?

Do this:

Then go into the Notehead Sets editor, select the Slashes category > Small Slash Noteheads. Select the first notehead (noteheadSlashVerticalEndsSmallOversized), edit it, select the glyph and click the trash can.

Result:

1 Like

Ahh… “Show other voices.” Perfect, thanks!

In engrave mode, you can move each number individually.

A really cool feature for a future version would be a “repeat count region” that would accomplish this without the need for hijacking either the repeat bar region or slash region features.

1 Like