How would you number repeated bars for the performer

Ahh… “Show other voices.” Perfect, thanks!

In engrave mode, you can move each number individually.

A really cool feature for a future version would be a “repeat count region” that would accomplish this without the need for hijacking either the repeat bar region or slash region features.

1 Like

I want to add to this request, too. I’m happy to have found this thread, though and to read about the workarounds here - one of these should do the trick for now, but the problem will return in future projects. By the way I want to number a simple long note over several bars - that does not really make sense using the bar repeats (no matter if performer/publisher like it or not) and will nevertheless happen from time to time.

…not to forget that the numbers should of course avoid collisions then. :wink:

PianoLeo’s work-around from Dec. 2018 is very good. Has there been a permanent fix to this problem yet? I’ve looked through all the menus after the latest updates and I don’t see anything. From the perspective of an orchestra librarian, this is a “must have” in order to make player friendly materials.
Thanks to all,

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Doug. As yet there’s no dedicated feature for numbering bars with the same musical content, but it remains something we are thinking about for the future.

2 Likes

Dear Daniel,
Thank you for taking time to respond. We librarians encourage copyists and composers to get into good engraving habits, so a permanent & easy to access fix would be welcomed. The work-around also can mess up score condensing at times.
Congratulations on a robust v. 3.5. You have made tremendous progress since I saw your v. 1 demo at our Helsinki conference.
And BTW, being able to zoom in using Ctrl + Scroll wheel is still mind blowing. A Finale using colleague flew me the bird out of jealousy today over this one feature.

3 Likes

Hi Daniel - As you are thinking about this for future updates, might I suggest a couple of options that accompany the feature?

I like the idea of a separate “repeat count region” as mentioned by Hamhm3.

• Allow the bar numbering to start with “1” or any other customized number
  • Allow individual control of each section and repeated bar number (above staff, below staff, etc)
  • Allow bar numbering to count every bar (default) or to count a custom number of bars (ie. every 2 bars, every 3 bars, etc - so bar 3 of the section could show as “2” and bar 5 could show as “3” etc.)
  • Don’t attach it to repeated music, but allow it to be an independent “graphic” element. This would allow the tool to be used for a wide range of numbering options in the music.

Thank you.

1 Like

All very good ideas! Especially the one about not trying to couple it to the music. Might I add:

• An option to show the total number range dynamically like in OP’s example: 1(-60), 2, 3, …
  • The possibility of starting a count at another point than the “1” of a bar, for when a pattern straddles the barline but is otherwise regular
  • The possibillity of specifying a count interval which is different from the length of the bars, for polymetric-ish stuff
1 Like

Just applying this workaround for the first time, and thanks for the great ideas @pianoleo and @claude_g_lapalme . A couple of things to add if anyone else is considering these techniques:

• Using Claude’s slash region technique means that the bar is treated as a two-voice bar, so rests and beams will need tweaking in Engrave mode. The bar repeat method avoids this problem.

• To hide the number in the score, set the ‘Count apparance’ property to ‘Do not show’ globally, and then set the local property to your choice of parenthesised/not.

• For the bar repeat method, if you want the first bar of the sequence to be labelled as 1, then you need to set the “Count from” property to 0.

Circling back on this one. I’m using small slashes. The only problem is that they’re drastically changing the note spacing:

Any idea why? Previously it looked like this:

I guess that Dorico keeps calculating the spacing for the four noteheads of the rythmic slash region. The fact that one changes/deletes the music symbol does not change/influences the spacing algorithm (just my assumption). You could use a note spacing change (or make into a system command) to keep the spacing you had before creating the slash region.

Certainly Dorico will at least leave the ideal amount of rhythmic space for each of those quarter note slashes, even excluding the width of the slash notehead itself. Rafael’s suggestion to use a note spacing change is a decent one.

The next version of Dorico will provide a simple feature to number repeated bars over a region without requiring you to subvert slash regions, etc.

4 Likes

I used lyrics.

1 Like

Hi basso continuo, I do need a step-by-step-advice how to insert the numbering. I found the editing window displayed in the post you sent me, where I can delete the “repeat last bar” glyph but how do I add the numbers in the desired passage??

You add the numbers by creating a bar repeat region. Once you’ve deleted the bar repeat symbol via Engrave > Music Symbols, any bar repeat region you create in that project will now show just numbers instead of the bar repeat symbol in the bar as well.

Inputting bar repeats

1 Like