How would you write Grounds in Dorico?

I just came across some old handwritten notes for some baroque-era grounds that I’d like to engrave in Dorico.

There’s the bass line (16 bars) and the melody/theme with variations that develops over a dozen repetitions of that bass line. So I’ve created two players, written the bass line, copied it a dozen times and wrote the melody. Everything looks very nice, except of course the bass part which currently contain hundreds of bars where 16 would suffice. Is there a way to reduce the score for the bass player to 16 bars and add a “repeat 12 times” notice, or something to that effect?

I thought about creating a third player who gets his own flows with only 16 bars of each bass line, and uncheck the other players from that flow, but that would mess up the automatic numbering of flows.

How would you handle something like that?

Thanks for your input,
Tim

Hi, Pietzcker.

Someone asked something similar to your issue not long ago, and the answer was to indeed create a new flow for this player. Since their parts differ quite fundamentally regarding their basic structure (16 bars vs. some hundreds bars), you currently cannot represent both layouts within the same flow.

Regarding automatic numbering, maybe somebody else can chime in? Is there something like “exclude flow from automativ numbering”?

I’ve done the same for a drumset part in some pop music arrangement (before condensing bar repeat regions was a thing, but still now) where the same one-bar pattern is repeated over 8 or 16 bars etc. Creating a new flow was/is the best workaround to this, I suppose.

Thanks, good point. I guess the same applies to jazz scores where one player may find a 36-bar solo written out, whereas the rest of the band/rhythm section only gets a 12-bar blues section repeated 3 times.