HSO 16bit on a Win7 64 bit

Hi,

I installed Cubase 5 with the HSO 16 bit version on a Windows 7 32-bit system last year.

Now I am planning to upgrade my system:

• Rebuilding my operating system to Win7 64 bit
  • Updating Cubase 5 to Cubase 6

What happens to the HSO 16 bit version ? Is it still possible for me to use that in the new environment ?

Thanks.

Yes, make sure you read as many of the posts in this forum as possible about C6 and HSO patches that are in vst3 format that can be used with Halion Sonic SE. There is an x64 version of the HSO player, but HSO is one of the worst interfaces ever designed by man. Much easier to use HS-SE. There are already many threads about this topic. READ THEM.

If you are going to use C6x32, then it will work exactly how it works now.
If you start using C6x64, you can use the existing stuff bridged, or install the x64 HSO player (again … YUK, why would you? well stand alone I guess)

I though it was just me. an intelligence test I sadly failed…

Where?

Here is a good intro into the topic:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/halion-symphonic-orchestra-version-overview/kb_back/2020.html

I installed HSO (from Cubase 6) into Halion 4 today without any problems. It recognized my old licence I had acquired for the HSO version that shipped with Cubase 5.

Only problem I saw when trying it out that the volume of the HSO instruments was extremely low. Will have to look into that.

Mod Wheel

The “16-bit” in HSO refers to the resolution of the audio samples and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the OS or Cubase is 32-bit or 64-bit. On the Cubase 6 DVD you’ll find the HSO content, revised in .vstsound format which you can load into the HALion Sonic SE synth which is part of Cubase 6. Your license for the original HSO VST plugin will allow this – in fact, if you don’t need to use HSO outside of Cubase, you can even uninstall the original (VST2) version and save about 11GB of disk space.