Huge latency

Hi forum,

i am an entry level user and i am using Cusebase 12 Artist and Dorico 4 Elements (all newest updates installed). Actually, i am using mostly Dorico to play note sheets on my keyboard and improve my keyboard skills.

What really ruins the experience is the latency in Dorico that ist definitely much larger than in Cubases or any other VST.

Please improve latency in Dorico! Also, the line that moves from note to note on the sheet when playing stutters. Hardware specs: Ryzen7 5700G, 32GB RAM, Firecuda SSD, Soundblaster X3 (Direct Mode)

Otherwise, is there a possibility to show note sheets in Cubase 12 Artist?

regards,
Bert

Hi, which audio driver do you use in Dorico respectively Cubase and what is your sample buffer size set to?
Due to a different system architecture Dorico has in general a higher latency when playing live instruments compared to Cubase.

1 Like

Hi Ulf,

i am using the same settings everywhere: Creative Sound Blaster ASIO driver + 96Khz + 960 samples (10ms)

But even if i double the samples (20ms) it’s totally fine in Cubase 12, Analog Lab V or any other VST. I would say that 20ms is virtually not noticeable. But Dorico produces so much latency that even 10ms feels much more than 20ms that are not noticeable in other programs.

regards,
Bert

Hi Bert, as I said, due to a different system architecture the latency is higher in Dorico than in Cubase. On the other hand, 960 samples is also not so pretty, even for Cubase. Can you lower that significantly in the SB driver?
Also, I don:t know your specific needs in Cubase and why you drive at 96kHz, in Dorico you don:t gain anything by that because all sample libraries that I know are recorded at 44.1/48kHz, so running at a higher rate only uses more CPU power at no increase in sound quality, but you may also don:t want to change driver settings all the time when switching between the apps.

1 Like

Hi Ulf,

sorry for the late response. I’ve also own the UR22C audio interface, but i’ve replaced it with the Sound Blaster X3. I’ve bought it because of Cubase AI. I got a cheap upgrade to Cubase Artist. So at the end, the UR22C was for free.

I’ve tested Dorico 4 with the newest Yamaha/Steinberg drivers. Indeed, this combination seems to deliver the fastest results. I don’t recognize any latency, even at 96Khz.

regards,
Bert

1 Like