Humanization in Dorico

Hello, i’ve noticed that with BBCSO Core the velocity is always the same even if the humanization function is active. Am I forgetting or doing something wrong? To introduce small variations in tempo (always with the purpose to humanizing the performance) is there a quick way to do it?
Thanx.

I don’t know whether you mean specifically velocity or dynamics in general – the majority of the patches use CC1 +CC11 if set up correctly and velocity is just for a few of the faster patches. The BBC Core doesn’t have any user-adjustable tempo built in (other than playing live obviously) but I’d be a bit vary of allowing any Dorico humanisation of tempo without careful testing. Under no circumstances should any Dorico humanisation of dynamics be allowed as even small differences can cause havoc with the way Core is programmed to respond to dynamics. Adjust the velocity sliders or use CC lines – i.e. hairpins to mould the dynamics.

If there’s a specific sort of situation where you might want to humanise tempi, by all means give an example with perhaps a short project extract to illustrate and we can discuss the best way to achieve this with the BBCSO Core.

I agree with dko22, you might want to check which articulations use velocity (usually the shorts, check the manual) and then verify that in the Dorico expression map the velocity box is ticked off for these articulations, either instead of or as well as CC dynamics.

The humanization will slightly adjust the start of notes (and I wonder if this is what you mean by small variations in tempo). It will also auto adjust velocity values for those articulations if that box is engaged, but global tempo changes are done in tempo track.

I probably confuse velocity and dynamics, my purpose in play mode is to intervene both on the intensity with which the notes are played and on the tempo intended as a metronome beat. In other words, any note played with small differences in velocity (dynamics?) from other notes. Regarding the tempo, since a live performance has variations and small inaccuracies, I’d like to try to recreate this type of trend. I hope I have explained … :sweat_smile: as for the expression maps I use the spitfire template created for Dorico by John Barron …

@Fabrizio_Amapane hello,
Well, I already mentioned about the need of Humanization Tool for Velocity, ModWheel and other CCs
Also about something like Logic’s Smart Tempo which works perfect for humanizing the tempo.

Check out my comment here:
Numbers 6 and 6… I wrote the same digit for two different feature… :smiley:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, so at the moment in Dorico it’s not possible to obtain these results?

You are welcome, Fabrizio! :slight_smile:
Currently Dorico has only Automatic Humanization, which, at least to me is more problematic than helpful.
There is no Tempo from MIDI extraction, nor something like Smart Tempo. Something like Smart Tempo is very important for film scoring, too. Dorico has a tool that offers various tempos between cue markers, but then if you need to humanize it, you have to do this by the pencil tool.
We need to be able to create a MIDI track (not assigned to any Staff) where we could tap the tempo by using a MIDI controller and if needed the mock-up to be edited and then exported as tempo for a particular cue, or the whole piece…

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

But in concrete what is the difference between velocity and dynamics? For example, do I have to draw the dynamics manually to get more realism? Sorry but I’m a little confused about it. :unamused:As far as velocity is concerned, all notes are set to 100. (BBCSOCORE).

all notes are set to 100 velocity in Dorico if it is not the main dynamic controller. As said before, this is mainly with the short articulations. When CC1 is the main controller, then to change the values, you simply need to use normal dynamic markings in the score or override in the CC controller lanes in the Play window. Again if you are using a velocity patch, you change the value directly in the velocity lane if required.

If you’re not sure which dynamic controller is being used for a particular playing technique , then just look at the expression map for the appropriate instrument which tells you.