Hyperthreading/logical cores on a PC - Good or bad for modern Cubase?

Hi steve,

I see in your profile that you are using a Hackintosh.
So did you turn off HT in it’s BIOS ?
And you didn’t notice that your Hack was performing way worse from that time, in any aspect, including Cubase performance ?

I ask this specifically cause most of the Hackintosh builders are just leaving HT on, (most of them or none audio/music producers).

So turning HT off on a Hack is an interesting hackintosh subject for me, mostly regarding DAW performance.

Thx in advance for your help ! :wink:

Yes, I turned it off in the BIOS. My system was already very solid, but turning off HT has eliminated the few spikes that I did get.

That’s great , many thx for the info Steve !

Warm Regards.

Just some update from steinberg regarding win 10. HT off could be in some cases still better than on.

Hey guys,

I built a computer specifically for music writing with a MONSTER 32 core third gen AMD threadripper, 256gb ram and 16tb of NMVE pcie 4,0 storage to store my samples in. This build was intended to eliminate all lag from my computer and effectively let me run as many tracks or samples as I needed for my orchestral compositions.

What I found was the opposite, at about 40 tracks, even with a 2000ms buffer, I would drop playback on a regular basis. After reading this article, I decided to try disable AMD’s equivalent of hyperthreading or logical cores called “CMT” in the bios. This means instead of having 32 physical cores and 32 virtual cores (64 threads) I would only have 32 threads running from each physical core on my CPU.

The difference was instant and extreme. I went from being able to squeeze out 40 tracks with buffering maxed out, to easily hitting 500 tracks with 128ms buffering. GAME CHANGING. I won’t usually hit that many tracks, but after disabling CMT (hyperthreading in intel marketing), my performance jumped to where I hoped it would be with this system.

Hope this helps!

intersting. I have a ryzen 16/32 3950x and I’m going to experiment to see how this behaves turning off the CMT. I’ve noticed that looking at the cubase CPU meter my 32 threads quite often aren’t been used that much but a certain thread will be pushing the ASIO meter into the red. I wonder if disabling CMT will mean less threads but they can be used fully which MAY mean more performance. It’s a simple test to try so I’ll post back my results.

M

Yeah, my guess is that cubase doesn’t differentiate between physical Cores and virtual threads. So, it will attempt to load up a virtual thread just as heavy as a physical one causing slow downs.

Full disclosure: I have no idea what I’m talking about. All I know, is that I saw a more than 10x improvement when disabling CMT

thwarted at the first hurdle. I used a current mix project as a test for this , took a screen shot of the ASIO meter then went into the BIOS to disable CMT.

On re booting I loaded the cubase project again but certain plugins were now unauthorised so I couldn’t get a fair comparison. I f I re authorise I’ll lose my authorisation when I swap back…

M

well after finishing the test yesterday I came to the conclusion that with my 16c/32t AMD machine hyperthreading works great :slight_smile:

to be honest there wasn’t a great deal of ASIO meter difference with SMt on or off but,
I think when you’re doing off line exports etc then the full cores/threads will be put to use.

M

1 Like