I am so frustrated with playback in Dorico!

Why can’t Dorico simply send it’s audio output to whatever device is the active one in Windows10? Every other app including all my other notation programs sends audio output to whichever device is active in Windows, whether it’s my laptop’s built-in speakers, bluetooth headphones, bluetooth speaker, plugged-in headphones.
But for some reason Dorico’s low-latency ASIO driver insists on 48kHz resolution, which works great through my computer’s built-in speakers but not through anything else.
Ulf very nicely did a zoom meeting with me to try to resolve the problem, but the only solution was to find a different ASIO driver. I’ve been using ASIO4ALL until just now, when I tried to switch from bluetooth earbuds to an external bluetooth speaker. Somehow ASIO4ALL has become corrupted so 3 times I’ve tried and 3 times I’ve had to shut Dorico down. I know, the definition lunacy is trying the same thing several times hoping for a different result. My bad.
I know the problem is with ASIO4ALL but if Dorico used a 44.1kHz ASIO driver, or at least allowed me to change resolution from 48kHz to 44.1kHz I wouldn’t have to mess with ASIO4ALL. Ulf suggested a different ASIO driver, which I tried but it didn’t allow me to switch output device.
Please Please Please allow us to select different resolutions in the Steinberg-low-latency ASIO driver, or just send the audio output to the OS’s audio output routine so that we can select what device we listen to our scores on.
If anybody has any insights that can help me with this, I would very much appreciate it.
thanks in advance.

I always run Dorico’s Generic Low Latency Driver at 44.1K on my Windows 10 machine.

I had an old laptop that had problems with Dorico, but ASIO4ALL always worked great and reliably. My suggestions are:

1.- Install an earlier version of ASIO4ALL, always try to stay 1 or 2 versions behind.

2.- Alternatively buy yourself a cheap soundcard, they sell pendrive soundcards these days for peanuts. Personally I like the plug-and-play Lexico Alpha.

ASIO4ALL can be a pain. Download the FL Studio free demo from their website and try using the FL Studio ASIO driver with Dorico. That driver solved a lot of audio issues on Windows for me.

@dhbailey , I understand your frustration, but things are more complicated than they appear to be.
There is no such thing as an 44.1kHz ASIO driver. Also the Steinberg Generic Low Latency driver can deal with a multitude of sample rates, it only depends on what the underlying audio device is capable of, respectively what it reports to being capable of, and this is where the complications start. Because also Windows has some control over the audio device which affects that what the Generic Low Latency driver “sees”, so that might only be 48kHz then, depending on the settings on Windows’ side.
The Generic Low Latency Driver (as well as ASIO4All and others) are just a kind of bridge between ASIO (the sound driving system that Dorico needs because of it’s inheritance from Cubase) and the Windows sound system. This bridge is by far from ideal and that’s why we recommend using an external audio interface with a dedicated ASIO driver, because then all these problems go away.
But sure, that does not help you immediately. Well, for the moment I can only offer to have another session so that we can sort your sound problems.

Do you have examples of Windows hardware to suggest?

I don’t mean Windows hardware but external audio interfaces like they are sold by Steinberg (UR-series) as well as a multitude of other vendors like e.g Focusrite, M-Audio, PreSonus, RME, just to mention a few.

I would but for some reason my installation of Dorico on my laptop only allows the generic low-latency driver to show 48kHz so I have no choice with it. ASIO4ALL works until it doesn’t and that shows me a list of possible resolutions, one of which is 44.1 but I have to open the configuration and select the specific output device. I will try uninstalling the current version and install an earlier version. Maybe that won’t be such a bother. And I’ll look into the pendrive soundcard. Thank you!

I appreciate your offer of another session, Ulf, but we’ll see the same things we saw last time. I find the need to manually select the audio output device no matter which ASIO driver I am using to be very frustrating. Every other audio software I use allows me to use the built-in speakers or plug-in headphones or bluetooth headphone or bluetooth speakers with no issues and no need to reconfigure things on my part. I’ll learn to live with it – I was particularly frustrated with the situation yesterday because while using Dorico ASIO4ALL, which I need to use a bluetooth speaker or bluetooth headphones got stuck in some horrible configurations telling me 8kHz resolution even though that’s not one I can choose nor is it one I would ever choose and I even quitting Dorico and restarting didn’t help. And even rebooting the computer didn’t help. Finally I uninstalled ASIO4ALL and then reinstalled it and then started Dorico again and got things limping along.
But it seems the problem is my specific machine since Derrek (and most likely many others) are able to see 44.1kHZ as a resolution setting in their installation of the generic low-latency asio driver, as I can when I’m using my desktop computer.
It’s frustrating, but it’s my frustration and I’ll eventually figure things out.
Thanks.

My case is much more serious, not only does it not play anything, but Dorico crashes when I try to play or when I try to change the audio engine configuration, which is generic asio driver by default. I also have asio4all, Mackie Asio driver. But the one selected by default is Generic Asio Driver.

Hi Hilton, and welcome to the forum. Audio on Windows can be a pain I know. Have you tried running Dorico with Administrator privileges? Sometimes that can overcome audio snags.

(In my case, I have to run Streamdeck as Admin or Dorico won’t even start!)

@RobF, you shouldn’t need to run Dorico with administrator privileges on either Windows or macOS.

@hilton9001, sorry to hear you’re having problems. Could you please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here so we can take a look and see what might be going on? In the event that the zip file produced is larger than 4MB, please upload it to a cloud storage folder like Dropbox, iCloud Drive, OneDrive et al and post a link to the file here.

I know Daniel, but on my PC at least it does cure obscure audio snags sometimes. Maybe time I bought a new one, the current one is heading for The Antiques Roadshow!