I am starting to get upset with WL 8.5.3

Brand new super computer. Brand new install of WL 8.5.3. Doing a simple montage. Only the montage and edit widows are open. Press play. WL crashes.

Here is what I have.

ASUS DRW-24F1ST - DVD SATA SUPERMULTI Burner - SERIAL ATA - BLACK - OEM Bulk Drive by Asus

Sentey® Power Supply 725w Xpp725-hs / Computer Power Supply ATX / 140mm Fan Sleeve Bearing / 48ampers / 5 Sata / 2 Pci-e 6-2 / SLI Ready / Crossfire Ready / 115-230 Voltage / Power Cord / 3 Years Warranty

Corsair Vengeance Series Black C70 Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011016-WW)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (HX318C10FK2/16)

MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97 GAMING 3

Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU - BX80646I54460

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW)

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)

WIN 7 PRO SP1 64 Bit OEM 1PK

NVIDIA GT 740 overclocked video card.

My other passion is Fight Simulator and this is the same setup I have for my Flight Simulator that has been running since last spring without a crash or a hiccup. I know there are better/different systems out there and I could have gone with an I7 processor but this is what I decided to do.

The computer is running nicely and when WL runs it is doing saving in one second or less of a 3 minute file and processing that same file in 10 seconds. NICE

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Do you have an actual audio interface in this new machine? If so - what is it?

VP

What is the sample rate and bit depth of the montage?

How many tracks on the montage?

Under Windows, you can generate one crash dump from WaveLab if you do so:
While pressing the Alternate key (press first and maintain), select “Gobal preferences” from the WaveLab menu with the mouse.
In that case, there is a new tab called “Diagnostics”. There you can activate several functions.
Activate the option “Enable crash report”, at the bottom. If a crash happens, one crash dump is generated.

Thank you!

After I finish these urgent jobs I’ll try and reproduce a crash for you.

Thank you again …

Yes it is an RME HDSP 9632 bought from these people http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDSP9632?adpos=1t1&creative=83049426001&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CKmKioev-8cCFUqRHwodJrMBEg..I moved it over from the other computer.

44.1/24 bit

Stereo/ Two tracks

Thanks! I will try that.

I tried it and…you have to be in the “track” window and not the montage and you can leave this on all the time with a check mark in the Diagnostics tab. Who knew???

What RME driver are you using with the new box?

VP

I use here the same soundcard with the latest drivers and it works perfect with Wavelab 8.5.3.
What settings do you use ? (SR, clocksource )

Steven

This one http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver_hdsp_win_410.zip it is the most current one I know of. Is there a better one?

That’s the one I am running. And I still get crashes, freezes etc. If you are hoping to “fix” this yourself - I would not invest too much time in it.

This is a discussion for PG to have with folks at RME - because as I have stated in many a thread response already - WL is not or cannot communicate sample rate changes correctly with the latest RME drivers. I have been fighting the same for several years now.

I notice that you are 44.1/24bit. If you want to get work done - suggest a standard of 44.1/16bit and you will probably be fine.

Until PG and RME get their heads together on this - nothing will change. Unfortunately.

Sadly - I can have files of all kinds of sample rates and bit depths open in Studio One Or IzoTope RX Advanced and never see any issues. The rates/depth switches perfectly every time. Only in WL does everything freeze hard.

VP

Today

1. Wavelab cannot support the plugin INSIGHT and will close. Only the edit window open

2. Wavelab cannot continue due to a problem with the plugin FAB Pro L. Only the edit window open

3. Wavelab crashed today playing a file with no plugins and no warning. 44.1 16 bit Wav file

These problems are all on a clean machine with nothing extra running on it. There has to be a MAJOR fix and soon.

It is beginning to look like WL does not play well with other developer’s plugins and that is not acceptable in today’s world.

I am running Sound Forge on the same machine as well as Samplitude and Audition with none of these problems.

How can I go back to 8.5.2 and make sure I have all the “junque” off my machine left over from 8.5.3 with out doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

Personal Note: PG can you please get this fixed before spending a lot of time on 9.0?? - Thanks in advance!!!

What a royal mess.

I have no clue what this happens to you. This is not a general problem.
If you run in 32 bit, can you try in 64 bit, or reciprocally?
And what about a crash log?

I have the crash log and can post it. it is like WL is possessed. I have been with WL since version 1.6 and never had all the problems I am having now. The last stable version for me was Version 6. Thanks for your concern.

Are you able to at least temporarily try another sound card or interface to rule out the RME?

It seems like that could be a factor at this point.

I have the crash log and can post it.

Try adding it in a PM.

Well here is the problem. My sound card works well with Audition, Sound Forge, Samplitude and even Adobe Premier. If it is the card I would think I would have problems with other programs as well. Everything is “rock steady” in those other programs. I do have some other interfaces I can try but…there is just something that is not quite right with WL at the present time. Thanks for the insight.

PM Sent. Thanks!

It seems, though this might not be what you want to hear, there IS actually something wrong with your system
Being on 8.5.3 I don’t recognize ANY of these issues. Maybe your memory is bad, system bios too tightly timed, videocard issues, interupt sharing problems. I don’t know it can be many things.
Are u using RME ASIO or directX / MME ?

Things to check:
Have you got all latest windows updates?
Have you got all drivers covered with Windows WHQL drivers?
Is you BIOS configured to BIOS DEFAULTS?
Did u already uninstall WL and removed all prefences folders manually?
Did you run ccleaner?

The answer is in your system (or it’s configuration) what you describe is NOT Wavelab.