I Can Open C7 projects in 6.5.4. So I'm going back

For many softwares, and I believe some previous versions of Cubase, I didn’t think project files were backwards compatible.

I’ve been pretty frustrated and unhappy with Cubase 7 (more so than any other release so far) so, just for the hell of it, I tried opening a C7 file in C6.5.4 and it worked. Of course the mixers are not configured like they were before but it plays fine.

So, anyone who was under the false impression like me that you were stuck with C7 because you have been using it for all your client’s projects. You can return to C6.

The problems, bugs, crashes, etc. (as well as the basic design of the Mix Console) were substantially slowing down my work flow so I’m going to continue to work with C6.5.4 at least on my Windows machine. The Mac is another story. Stay tuned.

I am more than willing to get used to the new mix console in C7 but not until the program is made to be more stable.

Same here. :frowning:

I tried to work with C7 for some time but sadly it only made miss C6.5 most of the time…

Same here.

6.5 was close to perfect (their best release ever - it also looked good)

why on earth mess it up like that?

Sorry, I don’t rate Cubase 7 at all and will not be using it.

This expensive update is not up to standard.

What is worse there seems to be no response from the company, no explanation, apologies, nothing. Why waste money? :neutral_face:

The “response” is coming in the form of an update :wink:

I discovered projects were backwards compatible since before xmas. Since then I’ve been jumping from 6.5 to 7 and back again trying to make up my mind as to which version I will continue to work with.
As you can guess I’m not too happy with Mixcontrol at all. Regardless of the new functions It just doesn’t sit well with me and slows down my workflow considerably. The whole issue has me installing demos of other DAWs wondering if I will switch.

It would be an understatement to say that I will never enjoy using this mixer as much as the “old” one. I don’t like it’s overall “Web 2.0” design, values changing from one thing to another etc. I prefer a static interface just like the old mixer.
And what is the purpose of those little grey boxes that appear around absolutely everything when you mouse over them? They drive me nuts. They have no function whatsoever, they’re just a distracting eyesore.

For me it would have been enough that Steinberg upgraded the old mixer by adding some new options like the ability to stack rows and have it full screen and maybe some other minor additions.
Mixcontrol is sluggish to use especially when opening and closing the rack sub-sections. It has this opening/closing animation which not unlike those little grey boxes has no function except for visual effect. When I re-install Windows for whatever reason the first thing I do is switch off all the useless eyecandy, I would like to do the same here. This is supposed to be a professional mixing environment, I don’t need to be dazzled with flashy graphics, that’s what games are for.

As someone mentioned 6.5 was damn near close to perfection. An updated version of the old mixer and that would have been it. But of course there will be version after version of Cubase because in the end it’s a company and money needs to be made, people need to get paid so changes will come whether they are needed or not.

This wouldn’t be a problem except for the fact that many companies refuse to update older versions. Otherwise I would be safe in the knowledge that I could stay with 6.5 for a long, long time and not have to worry about the software becoming unusable on newer systems.

More than likely there will be preferences around this.

This wouldn’t be a problem except for the fact that many companies refuse to update older versions. Otherwise I would be safe in the knowledge that I could stay with 6.5 for a long, long time and not have to worry about the software becoming unusable on newer systems.

Steinberg do update previous versions, it’s happened at least once already with V5.

Another 6.5 retroboy here!

Working on 6.5, when I find some time I’m playing around with 7. No need to use the latest version but over time we’ll see improvements for sure while the gamish look of the mixer will hardly be reverted. So I just try to get a little more familiar with it for the future. There’s hope that usability + speedy workflow will return, the look itself is a matter of taste and something I can get used to. Won’t get used to sluggishness :frowning:

No way! No how! Never! No such thing!

YMMV
{‘-’}

My EX was close to perfect but not close enough and i definitely would go back ! :wink:

c5.5.3 works wonders !