I cannot align nor group dynamics in a grand staff

It seems to me that in a grand staff we cannot align dynamics but we can group them to have them aligned. Well, I can’t group them either.

Are they definitely attached to the same stave? If one dynamic is attached to the top staff and another dynamic is attached to the bottom staff but flipped above, for instance, you won’t be able to group them.

1 Like

The Align Dynamics command doesn’t currently work on dynamics between the staves of a grand staff instrument, if that’s what you’re trying, @beppe.

2 Likes

Yes, they are related to the same upper staff, but I cannot group them. I am posting a simple test for reference. I cannot group the hairpin and the forte, nor the forte and the piano. I think the dynamics are to be “in a row” to be grouped, but the command doesn’t seem to work.

You’re in Engrave mode. Grouping can only be done in Write mode.

1 Like

Sorry, I thought I read that the alignment works only in Write mode.
Perhaps the menu should change and show what is possible according to the “mode”. I wonder how many other things I’ll get wrong.

It’s certainly not your fault! Dorico’s not perfect when it comes to these things. There are some technical limitations at the moment that mean some features only work in certain modes, to do with the differences in the way selection works in Write mode and Engrave mode. We have plans to improve this in the future, and hopefully it will mean fewer commands that work only in one mode or the other.

2 Likes