I can't ctrl-A select all midi notes in the key editor... (Dorico 4 Pro, Mac)

I am assuming I should be able to and thus this is a dumb newbie error. All I want to do is select all the midi notes and slide them around. Super basic stuff. But command-A (macos) doesn’t do anything. The key command preference is there for select all, so… I must be doing something stupid.

Thanks!
-denny-

Dorico doesn’t actually allow you to select all the notes in the piano roll with Command-A. Do that in the music area rather than in the piano roll. Once they’re selected in the music, they’re also selected in the piano roll.

1 Like

A somewhat related issue:

Working on a piano score. In the key editor, when I hold down Ctrl and select multiple MIDI notes, one at a time, the pitch of all the notes I click sounds the same as the first note I selected.

Why is this so?

Also, when I select a set of notes (say the inner voice of a series of chords played by the right hand), and use the line tool to draw in a crescendo, it affects all the other unselected notes in the region. The only way around this seems to be to adjust individual notes. Quite a cumbersome procedure.

Please advise.

Eddie

If all the notes are sent to the same VST, one would expect the dynamic change to affect all the notes. To have different notes react differently, one would need to have the notes sent to different VST’s or different instances of the same VST via different voices.

The give more specific advice, we would need to see a Dorico file (or portion thereof) demonstrating the situation you are facing.

I think that all program do the same : cubase for example… What you can do is to cut the notes and paste them in an empty playce than change what you want then cut them agin and pste them at the original place.
But one thing I encounter sometimes and not sure why this happens: when I paste in the key editor to the cursor it copies to another location (at the end)
copy_paste

I’d expect the dynamic changes to affect only the velocities of the selected notes I am wishing to change. It seems strange that the unselected notes (above and below the selected notes) change as well. I guess that is the nature of the line drawing tool.

This doesn’t happen when changing the velocities of individually selected notes with the pointer (arrow) tool.

Thanks. Next time, I’ll do what you suggest — cut the notes, paste them elsewhere, edit the velocities using the line tool, then paste them back into the original region.

Still, it would be nice to enable the line tool to affect only the selected notes, leaving the unselected notes unaltered.

Dorico behaves the same way whether you are making a multiple selection in the notation itself or in the piano roll: it only auditions the first note in the selection. This is something we could potentially change in future, but changes in that area can be controversial and might require us to add further options to control the behaviour.

Regarding the velocity editor, you can drag the bars for selected notes without changing the other velocities, but if you use the pencil or line tool, you will overwrite all of the velocities.

Got it.