I can't see note name on key editor

Hi,
I am shure this is not a bug on Cubase 6.02, it is a problem for my operation system, win 7 64 bit.
When I open Key editor with maxim zoom vertical and horizontal I can’t see musical note name on note (C1, D2 and so on). Also, on Project window when I use Transpose function from midi pop-up meniu, I can listen perfectly my transpose comand but on this part where I use transport I can"t see transpose operation, only I can listen it. I have 2 computers. One desktop with this problem, and one laptop where I don’t have this problem. On laptom everything is OK.
On my dektop I have WIN7 64 bit SP1, Cubase 6.02 two instances 32 and 64 bit, M-Audio ProFire 610, M-audio Axiom Pro,M-audio Midi USB 2x2 and Behringer BCF 2000, nVidia Quadro FX 580. I use the last driver for this devices.
Please, on my opinion it is a problem on my win 7, probably I don’t have something like some fonts or maybee something else. I very apreciate your help. Thank you.

Have anybody this problem?

For the Key Editor problem, I’m guessing you have the Note Expression button activated in the the extended toolbar.
(I’m afraid that, as regards the 2nd problem, after reading it a couple of times, I still don’t understand what you wrote :blush: :wink: )

Dear Vic,
Thank you for your answer. The first problem has been solved. Immediately after I had read your answer, I remembered that I knew that button, but starting with a certain age, my memory is not so good. The second problem has not been solved yet, that’s why I want to describe it clearly.

1. I have a midi track on which I recorded a material with midi musical notes.
  2. In midi menu, I access the TRANSPOSE function at + 12 value, that means a superior octave.
  3. I realize that the sound is perfect, it is upper with an octave, but VISUALLY, nothing happens.
    The notes drawing remains unchanged, as if I have never used the transpose function.
    This happens only in the main working window, not in the edit mode. For example, if I press the transpose command in Key editor, everything is fine, the notes change their place. Only in the main working window, I can’t see any notes modification, they remain in place, as if nothing happened, although, the sound is the right one. Also, the notes drawing on the material is uglier than on the other computer, the lines are smaller.
    I hope you understand perfectly what I want to tell you regarding my second problem, and I would appreciate if you or somebody else could give me a useful advice.
    Thank you in advance and I am waiting for your answer.

Aha! I think I understand now. The “visual” result actually depends upon the content of the original MIDI Part, and I am guessing that you are a victim of one of the undesirable effects of the new Graphic Scaling algorithm in Cubase 6 (and, unfortunately, there is no way to switch it off :frowning: )…
Cubase 6 now tries to “maximize” the view within a Part in the Project window, and does so, something like this (not a totally accurate description, but you’ll get the idea :wink: )…
Cubase takes into account the lowest note and the highest note with the MIDI Part, and if those two notes are both within the same octave, starting from “C”, then the visible range within the Part will be just that one octave…
If the range is more than one octave, starting from the C, then the visual range will be from the C of the octave of the lowest note, to the B of the octave of the highest note…
so…
If the lowest note in the Part is C2, and the highest note is B2, then C2 will be displayed at the very bottom of the visible range, and B2 will be at the very top (i.e. a total visual range of just one octave).
If the lowest note in the Part is C2, but the highest note in the Part is D3, then the total visual range will be 2 octaves(i.e. from C2 to B3).
If the lowest note is B2, and the highest note is D3, then the total visual range will also be from C2 to B3.
So…
If the Part contains only one note (pitch) then the visual range will still be just one octave, as if the Part also contained a C in that same octave (at the bottom of the visual range), and a B at the top…
However, if you were to transpose that one note by exactly one octave, then the criteria for scaling would be identical to what it was before transposing (i.e. it would still look exactly the same! :astonished: )

Likewise, if a MIDI track contains two Parts, one with just D2, and the other Part contains just D5, both Parts would look identical! (but see how it changes if you then glue the two Parts together;) )

Don’t shoot me… I’m only the messenger! :stuck_out_tongue: (and I hate this new scaling algorithm, for precisely the reason I have just described)

To check whether what I just wrote is applicable to the case you described… as a test, instead of transposing by exactly one octave, transpose by, say, 7 semitones… you should definitely see a difference this time :wink:

Short answer… this is absolutely not your fault :wink:

Hi Vic. Thank you again. You are right. When I transposed at +7 (a perfect 5th up) instated of +12 I can see a visual result, so it probably is happen because of new visual algoritm in Cubase 6. But that is strange to me becouse this happen only on one of my computers. On this computer the midi parts looks strange. I send you a jpg fille and plase look at this image and tell me what you think about it.

This is no problem with visual part. This image is normal becouse from one of my computers I have line mod setup (preferances - event display - midi - part data mode - line) and to another computer I have (preferances - event display - midi - part data mode - blocks). I prefer blocks. Thank you very much again for your help. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :wink:
I’d love the MIDI Scaling, if only it were optional (via a Preference, with its own key command) .