I do stop working with DORICO

:frowning:
Hi everybody,
unless Dorico 2.xxx is not released, I will stop working with Dorico and switch back to Sibelius!!
Here`s my wishlist for Dorico 2:
Please improve:

• slurs!!!
  • enharmonic interpretation
  • XML Import
  • update manual (german)
  • whitelist Editor (NI KONTAKT 3+4 + B4 II)

and so on!

Ladies and gentlemen - keep on working!
Greets
Peter

Yeah, Iā€™m back on Sibelius, too. I really like Dorico so far, but it is not feature complete. As-is, itā€™s pretty much a beta product. It needs performance optimizations (one of the developers has written in these fora that theyā€™ve already come up with ways to make it run faster), and playback is seriously flawed at the basic level. (Some commonplace notations like trills and repeats are unsupported, only note duration and static pitch are modifiable in Play mode, having to implement onerous and not entirely effective workarounds to keep the score from looking ugly, etc.)

So it goes with version 1.x of most any large-scale application. Iā€™m confident that Dorico will be up to snuff some time next year; I look forward to jumping back into it!

Peter, can you expound upon slurs and XML import? Dorico has both of those features.

I bought Dorico right after the release, mostly because I trust Daniel and his crew. But I am still using Sibelius most of the time (because I need percussion writting and some other stuff). My plan is to switch very slowly to Dorico.

Indications are they are working on percussion for next update, but I hope they throw us some bones on some other issues while theyā€™re at it, or I will be disappointed.

Yep, me too. Iā€™m not normally willing to plop down several hundred bones for a 1.x product, but the reputation of Daniel and the gang preceded them.

I really like most of what Iā€™ve seen of Dorico so far. Treating composition almost like a text editor, with the insertion bar and the non-corrupting cursor movement, is just brilliant. Implementing a piano roll for playback, allowing the user to fudge audio renders without touching the written notation at all, promises to be amazing. And single-note hairpins that actually play properly without manually inserting continuous control changes!

I canā€™t wait to see what this application looks like next year, once theyā€™ve worked out the many kinks and gotten closer to a feature-complete package. For now, though, itā€™s back to Sibelius, while keeping an eye on Doricoā€™s progress.

I just have to say I really like how Dorico handles both slurs and XML import.

I like the slurs as well, but I get sometimes strange results, when a slur is divided at a system break and I also find slurs not always pleasing, when working with two voices on one staff.
I havenā€™t stopped working in Sibelius, but now I do most of my work in Dorico and I like it very much. I did have to do a lot of workarounds in Sibelius and I still have to do (other) workarounds in Dorico too.
Playback is not important to me, so I donā€™t bother much about missing possibilites in this field, I have to admit.
Perhaps it would be good to start a German Forum for Dorico as well. There are already some people, who can help in German very quickly and if there are questions, which canā€™t be solved in the German Forum, the question could be passed over to the English Forum. I would be willing to help in German as well. Just an idea ā€¦

Hi Romanos,
XML import from Sibelius shows Chord Symbols from SIB as Dynamics in Doricoā€¦
Slurs prob: see Heipet above!

I think, Makumbariaā€™s strategy to switch to DORICO slowly is fine!!

And thanx to Heipetā€™s suggestion to open a German forum!!

Yes, good idea!

+1

I am engraving a full piano album in Dorico at this moment to see how far it fits my needs. I like the eas of entering the music and setting up every new piece in the flow section, but there are still factors that prevent me from going 100% Dorico:
Slurs could be improved still in how to are shaped; I stopped using tempo line objects like ā€œrall.ā€ because they always jump from the positions afterwards, no point in using them right now; very little control over playback performance, it sounds very mechanical; repeats and trills arenā€™t playing back correctlty.

The playback option is very important for me because my clients need to use the bounces for the promotion of their music. Sibelius creates a more human performance (especially in combination with NotePerformer).

At this moment, I only use Dorico for my own music, not for my clients or publisher, something I really want to, but I feel itā€™s too early for that. Dorico also crashed a couple of times still (no crash log anywehere to find), it suddenly stops responding and needs to restart,the playline stops workingā€¦ These are little glitches that for me, are signs that itā€™s not a fully matured product yet, which is fine. Itā€™s not on the market that long and will be very different in a year from now.

Yes, as explained when you first reported this problem, this is not a problem with Dorico, but rather with the MusicXML files exported from Sibelius. The MusicXML files you are exporting from Sibelius do not contain chord symbols, so Dorico cannot import them as chord symbols. Please try the Convert Legacy Chord Symbols plug-in, as recommended in that thread, and then re-export your MusicXML files from Sibelius, and import them into Dorico.

Please post an example of the problem that youā€™re having, Peter. I hope you will understand that writing ā€œslurs!!!ā€ as a description of a problem, it doesnā€™t give us a lot to go on in terms of making sure that we can assess and potentially address your problem in future. As it is, I think Doricoā€™s slurs are, in general, excellent.

It will take you two minutes in a text editor to whitelist these VST instruments. Stopping using Dorico for the want of adding three lines to a text file seems, if you will forgive me for saying so, like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

As for German documentation, I certainly agree that this is lacking at the moment, not only in German but in all languages. But we are making good progress on fleshing out the documentation, and I expect that we will have complete documentation for Dorico in all languages early next year.

Dear Daniel,
first of all:
I know you from your SIB-time, where you helped me a lot managing SIB. This was the reason for my decision to buy DORICO.

Whitelist: I whitelisted NI KONTAKT 3 & 4 + B4 II several times in WORDPAD according to your documentation without any successā€¦
Slurs: I will try to recreate the file that made me think that this function is not working correctly. As I was disappointed, I erased it. Letā€™s seeā€¦
XML: Sorry! I will try the CONVERT LEGACY CHORD SYMBOLS plug-in and then report you later.
DOCU: This will probably help a lot. At the moment, for example, Iā€™m working on a piece in d-minor. When I enter a C# (leading note) by midi keyboard, Dorico displays it as Db and I donā€™t know how to change it. Sibelius provides a special function for this problem, which in German is called ā€œUmdeutenā€. Is there anything like that in DORICO?
Lots of greets
Peter

For your whitelisting problem, can you please show a screenshot of the VST DLLs for these plug-ins, which I guess are somewhere like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins or similar, together with the contents of your vst2whitelist.txt file in WordPad? (Incidentally, although WordPad should be OK, I would recommend you use a proper plain text editor ā€“ even Windows Notepad will be better than WordPad).

Dorico would normally choose C# correctly on its own in D minor ā€“ again, I would be interested to see the context of this. But you can respell the note enharmonically by choosing Write > Respell > Respell Using Note Name Below, which will respell a selected Db as C#.

Dear Daniel,
try to input the first 2 bars of Bachā€™s two-part invention in d-minor BWV 775ā€¦

As Iā€™m not a computer expert: How can I post my DORICO version to you??

I use M-AUDIO Keystation 61 for input

You can zip up your current project and attach it here. On Windows, this page should help explain the process. Then attach the resulting .zip file here.