I got a question: How do you make money with your music?

I think that musicians develop an illusion (in general) of being able to “make money” on music. Sure, there are fortunate folks that do. Unfortunately, there are a lot more people not making any money on music.

There are many aspects to the money making of music that is not up to the musician. Music, like all business (since we’re talking about making money on it) has to do with a lot more than the music in itself. In commercial terms, musicians are like lottery tickets anymore. Treat the business part as such.

If you want to become financially independent making music, dream on. Don’t loose the dream, because realistically, that is all its ever going to be, so why not make the music count instead of the money. That does not mean you won’t make people’s life better with your music, but money-wise, get a day job while “waiting” for the big break.

If you want to simply make a living on your music, work at it. Work hard, and get a day job while waiting for the pennies to start dropping in.

Four tracks in over a year, could be on the low side, unless you are extremely talented. Not impossible, but also not very likely. For the first few years I was in bands (young in the 80’s) I made over 300 songs (of vastly different quality, ha ha ha) that never even made it into any live shows or recordings. I still have them in older Steinberg file formats, and no “easy way” to convert them (hint hint, Steinberg, universal project converter). :slight_smile:

Ever thought about tunes that pops in the media? There is a reason why people ‘read somewhere that the guy who did that repulsive “all about the bass” track’, i.e. unknown artist, catchy phrase from the song, etc. Virtually unknown, I wonder if someone else made more than £5,000 on that… :slight_smile:

Life is very short. Have fun making music, mate!

I read a lot and know plenty of bitter or frustrated full time musicians, who are barely surviving. Instead of adapting or changing careers, they continue to complain hoping something magical will change. IMO nothing is going to change. The devaluation of music is part of our internet age. Every copy protection method has failed.

And don’t ever suggest that it’s not necessarily a bad thing for there to be less pro or full time musicians. I used the example of a soloist who had a #1 Billborad hit duet with Phil Colins in 1984 who today is a real estate agent. She still records, but not full time. She doesn’t need to earn a dime, but she loves doing what she does. But if I use her as an example of a successful singer/musician who has adapted with the times, she is vilified by “pro” musicians struggling because they refuse to change or get a “normal” job. I think there are WAY too many pro musicians who should not be doing music full time. On the flip side there are a few part-timers who should be pro musicians, but family and financial security don’t mix well with the pro musician. Part of being a pro is paying your dues. Unfortunately for the majority the dues never pay off.

I don’t think the quality of art has suffered. I think overall it has increased. But you have to search for it. It’s not going to be placed on a platter for you by (in the USA) iHeart Media or Cumulous Broadcasting. It’s going to come from every day people who put it out there for the illegal sites to steal, but we still have fun making music.

That’s a very wise post. And if you take a good look at what’s happening to the music industry. In a few year it will all be streaming services subscription base models. Even Apple is doing it. $15/month all the music you want for a family of 4. People are not buying music like they used to and labels are not investing in artists like they used to.

I read an article the other day about how small labels can’t survive unless they produce music festivals. An artist that sold 100,000 units in the 90’s-00’s can only sell 10% of that now, 10,000 units.

Every year the industry is shrinking. Now downloads are the new CD. It might reach the point where musicians can’t make money and there are only a few making it. Like last year Taylor Swift “Saved the Music Industry” This year it’s Adele’s turn. :laughing:

Is it worth it? If you’re like the CEO of Groupon a 35 year old musician. Groupon is now worth 13 billions.
Music industry is worth about 14 billions. Facebook is worth 250 billions :nerd:

My point is that there are other industries that are growing unlike the music industry. While the industry is shrinking.
Youtube, Apple and other software companies are making big money…It’s not only music. TV, Radio, Book, Movies… are all decreasing industries…

I think this equation is all wrong. Music has no inherent connection with money. That is purely a business side effect. The business has then created a stage (enjoy a weak pun) of tape, vinyl, CD and DVD. Few musicians are rich or financially independent because of this, and have created an illusion of a lifestyle that is for a privileged few. The same is true for books, etc., which with the advent of digital media has become an basically obsolete.

As for the “illegal site” and the “stealing” part. Imagine some time after recording just became available. When recording became distributable as a physical media, middle-hands saw a business opportunity. Now, the same industry is obsolete and desperately trying to survive by creating copy protection in one form or another, obviously failing time and time again. Nobody questions why that is? Isn’t the model by definition then, unfit for our time?

What would happen to Coke and Pepsi if people started drinking “too much water”? Should water deliberately be polluted or otherwise be made undrinkable? Oh wait…

You said it yourself, “The devaluation of music is part of our internet age”, then “I don’t think the quality of art has suffered. I think overall it has increased. But you have to search for it.”

The music is still fine, but the business model is not. Diminishing streams of revenue and growth, and increased amount of music. Quantity over quality? That is not a fault of Internet, but the aftermath of a model that is out of time. Our world changes, but investment conglomerates don’t want it and so they don’t change. So we get DRM, a virtual restriction on a virtual signal? :laughing: Too funny. Why not add IMF technologies to DVD/CD so that if someone but you touch it… a bit of smoke.

Oh wait here, that’s not the same… now minions come to mind. :smiley:

For the style you described I’d say that isn’t the obvious answer at all. The obvious answer is COMPUTER GAMES… Find some student developers, approach as many as possible as local as possible, build relationships, 1 or 2 should become friends, hopefully they might make it in their field, if your good, it’s your work they’ll want. Have a look to see if there’s any offices of the established games houses local to you, send them a letter, tell them your local and would like to give them a call, give them a call and hook up.

What with all the lil app games these days, I’d imagine music for them being in high demand. They pay would be little but you could get involved with some young developers trying to break through, work on the app game itself, be part of the team, pay being a share of sales/advertising revenue or you could end up working on the tracks in the latest big title.

Hang out on their furums, not music forums, there’s no market here. Student film makers too, they all need music.

I’m lucky to earn just enough to live DJ’ing, but I still don’t play my own music, 15 years and it’s still not on par.

lol!!!