I got some instructions from Steinberg and now nothing works!

I got some instructions from Steinberg and now nothing works! The software cannot find any plugins, i cannot open any of my project. Re-Scan of plugins doesn’t do anything. GOSH. Really. Get your support together Steinberg. This is EXPENSIVE software to some of us and now everything is f’d up. How do I fix this? I try to rescan my plugins and when I open a project it shows that all my plugins are missing.

Start Cubase in Safe Start Mode to reset your preferences:

It did not work. I got these instructions from Support:

• Close all programs.
  • Open the ‘Run’ command prompt by pressing the Windows logo key + R simultaneously
  • In the command line of the ‘Run’ window, enter this path: %appdata%/Steinberg
  • Locate the folder which is named the same as your Steinberg program, for example, ‘Cubase Pro 9.5_64’.
  • Rename it (for example to “XCubase Pro 9.5_64”) in order to hide it from Cubase.
  • Important: If you find folders of previous Cubase versions, make sure to hide or remove them, too.
    Next time you start Cubase, a new folder with fresh preferences and default settings will be created - which hopefully fixes the problem you’ve experienced.

I did that and it just made things worse. I had to rescan all plug-ins etc. and the On-Screen Keyboard still does not work. It makes the sound, but it does not show what keys I press. In some plugins (Halion 6) It shows the keypresses. So the fault is somewhere else now.

Well, delete the Cubase Pro 9.5_64 folder and rename XCubase Pro 9.5_64 back to Cubase Pro 9.5_64 to restore your old preferences.

The instructions they gave you reset your preferences. This means that any VST scan paths you set were also reset.

Maybe the support person wasn’t aware but the Virtual Keyboard issue is a bug. Fiddling with your settings wont fix it. You’ll have to wait for an update.

Good the bug is getting solved. I was just pretty furious since I was supposed to do some work that night and all got messed up but luckily I got everything working again since I got nice instructions from Oscar, so thank you Oscar. I am not really good with fiddling with different folders etc.

I updated Cubase to Version 9.5.30, on-screen keyboard is still not working. Any solutions?

If the most recent update did not resolve a particular issue/bug you’re afflicted with, you have no choice but to wait and hope that the next update will solve it.