I have a website ... how do I put my songs up?

Hi -

I post songs for friends and family, I’ve used sondclod, yotoube, and others. I realized lately though that the fine print of these contracts means the companies could theoretically exert control over the songs. Not that it is likely that any of them would care or want to, but I decided that if it were possible I’d like to do it differently.

I went out and purchased my own domain name from godaddy.com. What is the next step, I guess I need to embed a player of some sort?

Thanks much for any help -

Do you have any html experience?

There is a lot of free code on the net to play music. I use this one on my site:

I have it open a separate window sized to the player so people can browse the different pages and not have the music stop.

Thanks for that, Tom. I took a look there … looks like it would be nice to have some html experience …

I guess that means either learn, or maybe hire a high school kid. Though I was hoping for a sort of “plug-n-play” option to get a web music player on my site, I’m OK with doing that.

Thanks much - at least now I have a direction to go in!

If you have a direct link to your media file, you can just throw that on your page and it’ll automatically display a mini player of whichever media player the viewer has set as default.

Just chuck the code below in your page and be done with it, should work on all modern browsers.

<object height="100" width="100" data="horse.mp3"></object>

If you don’t have any experience web designing, look for website templates for bands/musicians. There should be free ones and pay ones. Godaddy may have some.

Cool, thanks. Stroph, I’m sure one day I’ll understand and do that. I’ll look for those websites, Tom.

Thanks again -

Edit: I’ve apparently already paid for a (very!) barebones service with GoDaddy - so it looks like I’m probably able to get up and running. Mp3 only for now, but upgrade options exist, I’m guessing I could have it so people could hear .wav or something down the road …

Thanks again!

Keep in mind that even with fast broadband, WAV files are large and uploads take a very, very long time.

320khz MP3 (straight out of Cubase) sounds pretty good and takes only a few minutes to upload.

Bandcamp is very clean and professional. Give it a look. It offers SOOOO much. From stats, stats and more stats! (where in the world its being purchased from, what site the traffic comes through on…etc), to “Name Your Price” for purchasing (independently on each format if you wish. So mp3 can be cheaper and .flac/.wav a bit more money), offers almost EVERY format! You upload a .wav and they convert everything for you. They make sure all your song titles match, album artwork, the WHOLE NINE! EASY PEASY!

They charge 10-15% of your sales.

You can also set it up so people give their email addy in exchange for downloading your music. A mailing list full of potential buyers/fans!

Oh!, and you can sell merchandise along side your music. :slight_smile: COOL! Have some T-Shirts/Bumper Stickers made up!

http://bandcamp.com/features

Silver & Gold | Sufjan Stevens (random example)

Also, there are a few “players” you could embed ALL OVER THE NET (like here/facebook/etc), like myflashstore.net.
http://www.myflashstore.net/features

Hope this helps some.

Hey Strophoid - old thread here, working today on getting this set up. Would you be able to point me to a a page that might use that kind of coding?

I clicked on your sig link to see if it brought me to a web page. It didn’t, but that’s OK, I got to hear your songs on soundcloud - beautiful!
I especially am entranced by “Ik dans allen met jou”. The whole presentation is a thing of beauty, and the haunting piano sound especially stands out. I would kill to get that kind of piano sound - may I ask how you got it (acoustic vs. some kind of VSTi, was it a “dry” sound going into Cubase, what kind of processing, etc.)?

Really nice work! :slight_smile:

Godaddy.com, which is my “registrar”, has an .mp3 hosting service included in what I have played for.

BUT … the nice guy at the other end could not find whether they can play at 320kHz.

I wasn’t able to answer his question though … whether that was the upload sample rate, the playback sample rate, or both?

He told me upload sample rates were 44.1 KHz (or 22.05 KHz or 11.025 KHz) ; and that the upload bit rate was anything from 32 to 196.

Can anyone explain please what the 320 KHz in the above post refers to?

Thanks -

I don’t know who said 320KHz, but I assume he meant 320kb/s, which is the highest available quality setting for MP3’s.

• edit: I see swamptone did, he must’ve meant kb/s instead of KHz. -

The godaddy rep said you need to be between 32 and 196 (shouldn’t that be 192?), so they only allow small files at a lower quality. There is a rather noticable change in sound quality here if you know what to listen for, 192 can be allright but it wouldn’t sound much better than your regular soundcloud/youtube upload I reckon. I don’t know how well Fraunhofer (the Cubase MP3 codec) sounds at 192, never tried it.

Making my own website is still on my list, but it’s somewhere buried far away :p. If I did I would probably use Soundcloud myself, for convenience mostly. You can enable downloads on a soundcloud song so if people want better quality they can download the file you originally uploaded if you so wish.

As for the piano: I don’t remember doing much to it. It’s the Grand Piano from my MO6 (which has the Yamaha Motif soundset) with a bit of compression, reverb and some EQ, not much else I think. The artist played the track on her own digital piano (an AKAI if I’m not mistaken) but I recorded the midi. After she was happy with the performance I decided to try some other piano samples and both agreed that the MO6 piano sounded way better. Glad to hear you like it too :slight_smile:

I went and read the youtube terms of service, and it is a little bit off-putting in terms of control of the music you have created and put on there. Maybe it’s all meant to turn out all right, but they have a lot of language that seems to suggest that the writer/performer of the music doesn’t have total control. And how much loss of control there is, is hard for me to understand from the legalese. So, it’s definitely eyebrow-raising … at the least.

Does anyone know about Soundcloud - do they reserve the right to have anything to do with ownership, distribution, etc. - or is it absolutely black and white clear that they are just a repository for our music?

(Thanks for the info Strophoid, having a Motif I will check it out. BTW - there’s a piano in Halion Sonic SE, the Yamaha S90 - what do you think about that one?).

Thanks -

The S90 is very nice as well. Whenever I do a collection of songs which all use pianos I alternate between the Motif Grand and the S90 to keep things interesting :wink:.

Cool, thanks. I need to revisit the Motif Grand, based on your SC song. Long ago I decided to use the Motif “Jazz Grand”, IIRC I thought it wasn’t quite as dark as the regular Grand. Who knows if I’ll still feel the same today!

Been using the HSSE S90 recently, it’s so much easier, and sometimes cleaner I wonder. Of course it can’t be edited like hardware, but I’ve been lazy lately!

Thanks again!

I see you have a Motif 8, I think the soundset on my MO-6 is from Motif 7 so there might be some differences.

Oh, and I seem to have hijacked my own thread :mrgreen: .

I went and read the youtube terms of service, and it is a little bit off-putting in terms of control of the music you have created and put on there. Maybe it’s all meant to turn out all right, but they have a lot of language that seems to suggest that the writer/performer of the music doesn’t have total control. And how much loss of control there is, is hard for me to understand from the legalese. So, it’s definitely eyebrow-raising … at the least.

Does anyone know about Soundcloud - do they reserve the right to have anything to do with ownership, distribution, etc. - or is it absolutely black and white clear that they are just a repository for our music?

I just had a guy do this for me, wasn’t very expensive if you like I can forward his info. He is great at this stuff
http://kennyzarider.com/music/
Also Cd Baby has a great player that is free and you can copy and paste code into your site. Not sure if it will allow full length tracks or not
from facebook http://members.cdbaby.com/sell-music-on-facebook.aspx
on website http://members.cdbaby.com/music-store-widget.aspx

Thanks, Kenny, I’ll do that when I’m ready to have a “real” site!

Did you ever look up whether CD Baby promises to just host, not have the right to distribute/own/etc.?

Thanks, Kenny, I’ll do that when I’m ready to have a “real” site!

Did you ever look up whether CD Baby promises to just host, not have the right to distribute/own/etc.?

I do my own hosting but I’ve been using cd baby for a while now and they have been great, better than iTunes for sure. I’m a keyboardist not a lawyer lol, but they are more than legit. They’re goal is to have you sell music and they take a % of it can’t remember how much but it’s less than bandcamp and their distribution/web presence is better. They also sell actual CD for you :slight_smile:

I’d read into it so you can answer your own questions though.
Kenny

I think YouTube’s TOS is primarily directed at protecting themselves from any kind of libel!