I have a weird question and ANYONE can help, really. :)

So I’ve been having trouble with my Cubase 6. I’ve done everything I can to get it to work and nothing seems to be fixing it. No matter what virtual instrument I select, I get no sound through MIDI. I’ve record enabled, checked all my channels, yadda yadda.

So today I got to thinking, maybe it didn’t install correctly. Maybe the VST’s just aren’t there. So I checked the properties of the Steinberg folder on my PC and the ENTIRE cubase program file is 317 MB. That seems incredibly small to me, especially considering I also have Reason 4 and it’s program folder is 2.07 GB which seems much better.

So what I need to know is, how much space does your Steinberg folder take up on your system? This’ll tell me if maybe I need to reinstall or at the least will tell me if I’m missing something. :slight_smile:

I bought a used educational version on eBay, maybe it was incomplete? How many discs should this come with?

Thanks in advance folks!

Not all files are installed into the Program folder 317 MB should be OK.

Well where do the rest go? Why wouldn’t they under “Steinberg”?

You know, disregard that. Not important. How many discs did your copy come with?

My retail box of Cubase 6 (full) came with:

1 - Installation Disc
1 - Halion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set Demo Disc
2 - Halion Sonic Demo Disc
1 - The Grand SE3 Demo Disc
1 - Quick Start Video Tutorials Disc

Keep in mind these are all the discs included in the full retail box.
You’d only need the single installation disc to actually install Cubase.

Getting started guide? Manual? Clue?

Ah… I only have the Cubase install disc and the tutorial disc… Looks like I might have to contact the seller. :slight_smile:

You don’t have to do that.

Every disc other than the install disc and the tutorial disc are demos :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
They’re not additional content.

If your seller has already used the demos, then they are of no use to you.

Do you get a MIDI signal then?

Demos eh? So Cubase DOES in fact have some virtual instruments included out of the box, yes?

I do get a MIDI signal in the little control bar on the projects page, a little vertical red bar jumps up and down as I press the keys but nothing else.

Hey folks, sorry if this is all like total idiot knowledge on here but please bear with me. I’m VERY new to all of this, even Reason I’ve only had for about a year now and it’s taken me this long to really get good with that. Only problem is, I was told Cubase was better for symphonic music which is what my focus is on so pretty much abandoning Reason once I get this figured out. But again, Reason works for me just fine but for some reason I cannot get a single instrument to play in Cubase for me. Probably go through the manual and tutorial DVD again this weekend but it’s really kind of driving me nuts so I may ask a million questions from you experienced users and I honestly do appreciate the help. :slight_smile:

Yes, but the included ones are mostly synths and romplers. Don’t need very much space at all.

Take a look at this:

Scroll down to the table named “Virtual Instruments” and find your Cubase version.
These instruments should be able to be added via an instrument track (assuming they’re installed).

Ah, interesting! Thanks! Good to know what I have. :slight_smile: