I have two issues with the Cubase 8 algorithm

Cubase engineers, any help to resolve this issue?

Are there any Cubase engineers here in this forum?

If you are time stretching the exact same sample on the exact same version of Cubase using the exact same algorithm with the same project settings then you should get the same results. And this regardless of which computer you are using. It’s probably the case, therefore, that when you time stretch on your friend’s computer you are doing something different which causes a good result. Or put another way, when you do the time stretching on your own computer you are doing something different which causes a bad result. You’d probably be best trying to work out what you are doing differently. To this end:

How are you doing the time stretching? Are you referring to real-time time stretching in musical mode as a function of when you change the tempo?
If so, this works OK here on Cubase Pro 8. What version of Cubase Pro 8 are you using?

What is the bit resolution and sample rate of your project?
What is the original bit resolution and sample rate of your sample?
Are there any effects on the track?

That’s strange. It doesn’t happen here on Cubase Pro 8. What version number of Cubase Pro 8 are you using?

Any Cubase engineers that can answer this question? This is a legitimate issue that I’m having.

Any ideas?

Any engineers that are willing to help this out??

Any ideas, guys?

I have the solution for you… Use Ableton instead. If that is working for you and not Cubase. Problem solved!

Otherwise get the latest version and try it, make sure all your settings are right. If you’re still getting an issue and you want a steinberg engineer to help out, you need to open a ticket.

Yeah I have an idea. Stop disregarding those on the forum who are trying to help you and submit a report to Steinberg instead of complaining here.

Sorry but I find your approach quite annoying and I am sure other members here are now ignoring you because of the way you are handling this.

Best to you! Seriously. :slight_smile:

Well said jimmys69 - I spent a lot of time (in my two posts) giving him all the advice and workarounds to resolve his minor issue but it has obviously all been ignored so enough’s enough and as they say “You can take a horse to water but you can’t get them to drink.” :frowning:

Kind regards

James Colah

http://www.twitter.com/jamescolah

While I appreciate your attempt at trying to help me, your “advice” wasn’t much, since the issue I have at hand is technical and directly affects my work-flow.

At a technical standpoint, if an algorithm adds unwanted artifacts to your end-result, how is that okay?

Besides, every producer has different standards. And apparently, I give a damn about how weird the algorithm churns out the wave files that I want to manipulate.

Also, I have not ignored your “advice”. If thanking you for your comments wasn’t enough, I really don’t know what to say.

It seems like you’re in the habit of trying to shove your “advice” down people’s throats.

Sorry I couldn’t get back to your earlier.

I’m assuming you’ve heard the samples that I’ve uploaded on Soundcloud.

“… you should get the same results… you are doing something different which causes a good result”

That’s what I’m trying to find out here. I don’t know how to do it “differently”, as you mentioned.

I’m time stretching by toggling the ‘1’ key on my keyboard where the cursor changes to the ‘time stretch mode’ and I pull on the end of the wav file to the desired length. The stretch itself is usually under 20%, most of the time since anything more than that causes degradation beyond recognition (at least to my liking).

I am currently using 8.0.1, and upgrading to any higher versions should not matter, since it’s an Elastique Pro algorithm (the same one that is used in Pro Tools, and is considered the best one out there).

“What is the bit resolution and sample rate of your project?” → Doesn’t matter since Cubase asks if you want to convert it to 44.1 from 48, for example. The sound would be very distorted and unusable without the conversion anyway.

“What is the original bit resolution and sample rate of your sample?” → Again, I’m aware of it enough as not to make this mistake.

Are there any effects on the track? → No.

You do realise that using the tool to stretch in that manner has it’s default stretch method set in the settings. I can’t believe up until now you haven’t tried to use time stretching via the other methods available, simply to check!!! The reason it sounded different on your friends cubase will be because they have the stretching tool set to a different default.

In the pool window you set the actual Tempo of the sample, put the sample in musical mode and pick which algorithm you want that individual sample to use. Now when you change the bpm of the track it will automatically lock into the track using the specific algorithm you require it to, have told it to use.

Hi, Well if this algo works on one computer but doesn’t have the same results on your computer/Cubase version then I would suggest it is your computer setup and/or Cubase version.

If I lost days and or weeks trying to solve a problem between 8/8.5/OS/or other unknown culprit then the first thing I would have done is update to 8.5 and check all the time stretching setting are correct and the same as the working computer, then if the problem still existed I would reinstall all my OS and software to make sure. I know it is a pain to reinstall everything but heck I always have a clean windows install ready using Acronis true image which takes 10 mins to setup and a spare hard drive to do it on so it does not affect my main drive. Simple quick testing this way saves weeks of 'kin around getting nowhere.

+1

This is probably only a valid question if you are sure you know how to use the software.

What method are you using to change the algorithm?

you should upgrade for sure

cubase 8 was buggy as hell for me until later upgrades

Not with regard to this particular problem. Upgrading will probably make no difference to the time stretch method / algorithm being used by the OP.

I am currently using 8.0.1, and upgrading to any higher versions should not matter, since it’s an Elastique Pro algorithm (the same one that is used in Pro Tools, and is considered the best one out there).

The algorithm may be the same but the implementation of it could still be flawed.
There was already a published timing fix from 8.00 to 8.01 that proves this.