I need a Cubase wizard to explain this to me!!!

Hi,
Thanks for your time. Since the 9.5.10 update, I have a problem with midi recording and the lenght of the regions. I have enclosed a picture. What needs to be looked at is the info line. In this example, I recorded a bass line for 4 bars. When I stop the recording, Cubase brings the region’s end to bar 6.1.1.0. So, I resize the region to 5.1.1.0 to be able to loop the region. The info line shows that, with the region selected, going from 1.1.1.0 to 5.1.1.0. But the lenght of the region is 4.0.0.40. So when I loop the region the next ones have note info all moved by 40 ticks, making them way off the grid.

Never had this problem before the update. Did I tick something in the prefs by mistake? Being new to Cubase, I trashed the Userpreference file in Library/Preferences/Cubase… folder. Is something else needs to be reset? Thanks.

Blink

Hi,

Do you use the “Extended Playback Range of Notes that start before the Part” in the Preferences > MIDI? What is your value here?

Thanks for the reply Martin. I tried it some days ago to make sure an arpeggio part would trigger at the start of a song but I brought it back to zero tick when I started having those problems. I started a new template earlier today and made a quick test and it wasn’t showing the problem but didn’t have much time(chrismas shopping today and all). Will make more tests later and will let you know.

Blink

From the picture it seems the very 1st MIDI Note starts before 1.1.1.0. Could you select it in the Key Editor, what is written here? Even the MIDI Part seems to start a bit earlier (visually). So the Length might be +0.0.0.40, then. Then the weird part is, why Cubase displays start of the event at 1.1.1.0, if it’s not obviously true.

In general, it’s recommended to keep 1 or 2 first bar empty to init.

Thanks for the suggestion but that won’t be possible since it was just a test for troubleshooting the issue and I didn’t save the project. But I did check the first note start time and it was 1.1.1.0. That’s what the info line in the key editor was reporting but since it’s Elements and I don’t have the Event List editor it’s the only place I can confirm.

I made further tests in my new template last night without the problem reappearing. So, my only conclusion is my old template didn’t like 9.5.10. I also stared in safe mode and deleted the prefs. I’m still exploring Cubase so I try all kind of features and parameters so maybe there was something in my old template messing things up. Thanks for the follow up.

Blink

Hi. Did you ever sort this out? Never could resist a little teaser… To me, the second part is just over 4 bars due to the length of the last note. If the same is happening in the first part, then the extra length of the final note may be what’s throwing the reported length ‘out’, even though the part itself has been trimmed to a bar. Just a thought…

Hi, the second part is longer BECAUSE of the problem. The Key editor shows the first part and you can see the last note ending inside the part but with the duplicating everything was moved around 40 ticks on the second region.

I redid my template from scratch since the update to 9.5.10 and I’m not encontering the problem anymore. So, probably that my 9.5 template didn’t like the .10 update. Thanks for the suggestion.

Blink