I need help! Notehead panic!

Hello!
I have tried to create a notehead set without notehead (just stems).
:arrow_right: The result is: Those notes which should have just stems have an x notehead, and all whole notes have black (quarternote) noteheads.
I have simply no idea what I did to get this result and how I can solve it … :question: :question: :question:

Is anybody here to help me? Thanks in advance!

PS: Please open the file: In Fl, Kl and Fg (bars 6 and 7) there should be just stems (no x). And if you look at e.g. double basses (bar 5ff) you can see the missing whole notes.
Noteheads panic.dorico.zip (1.39 MB)

Ok, I solved the issue with the whole notes. But I still struggle to get no notehead noteheads …

Here’s a hopefully foolproof recipe for headless noteheads:

1. Choose Engrave > Notehead Sets
  2. In the left-hand list, click the + button to create a new notehead set from scratch; don’t base it on an existing one.
  3. Give the set a suitable name, e.g. ‘Headless Noteheads’.

Note: You will see that the grid of noteheads contains a single notehead: don’t edit this one. That’s the default black notehead also used by other notehead sets. Editing that will change black noteheads in many other notehead sets. This is powerful, because it means you can reuse noteheads in different sets in different combinations, without having to constantly redesign them, but you do need to be aware that this is what’s going on. So:

1. Click the + button in the action bar at the bottom of the dialog on the right-hand side to add a new notehead to the set. This looks the same as the first one, but it’s a new one.
  2. Select the first notehead in the grid (the default one) and click the arrow pointing out of the box to the right to remove it from the set. You should now be left with just your new black notehead.
    6, Click the pencil icon in the action bar at the bottom of the dialog to edit the notehead.
  3. Select the notehead in the editor and click the trashcan icon to remove it.
  4. On the right-hand side, click the ‘Text’ character, and then choose ‘font.defaultMusic’ as the font style.
  5. Enter one or two space characters into the edit control, and click ‘Add Text’ to add your two spaces to the notehead.
  6. Click OK to confirm your changes to the notehead.
  7. Make sure you set your new notehead to be used for all durations (e.g. all durations of a quarter and shorter, and for all durations of a quarter and longer).
  8. Click OK to confirm your changes to the notehead set.

You should now be able to assign your new ‘Headless Noteheads’ set to existing notes in the project via the Edit > Notehead submenu.

14 Likes

Thanks Daniel for your kind help – you are right, a foolproof recipe is what I normally needed. :wink: But IMHO this recipe only works for me if I use the bigger noteheads. We already had this topic in the forum: Normal noteheads not working - #10 by dspreadbury - Dorico - Steinberg Forums
I am using the smaller noteheads in order to get a »lighter« appearance of the score. Using this, the result with your recipe is this:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-07 um 14.42.18.png
instead of this:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-07 um 14.51.56.png
If there is no possibility to create a headless notehead character while using the normal noteheads its ok for me. But I want to find out, how to get both …

:blush: Sorry, forget my comment! I found the mistake …

Hi
I have to create a score where the drummers part is shown using headless stems!
I have tried doing what Daniel suggested, and I now have a “invisible” notehead. But the alignment with the other notes in the part is off. I have tried what Leo suggested in the Facebook forum today, but it doesn’t seem to change anything.
This is how it looks:

Any idea what to do?
Regards Stig

You should make sure that the width of the invisible notehead you’ve created is roughly the same as the normal notehead. If you’re using space characters to create the invisible notehead, perhaps you need to add a couple more.

2 Likes

Thanks!

In Dorico 4.1

the step is a little different :

1. Choose Library > Notehead Sets
  2. …choose ‘Text / style / Default Music Font

A video or a Gif explaining how to do would be great.

And adding a headless notehead option as default in the Properties and the right click
would be even better.

Thanks Daniel,
Is it possible to include a headless notehead in a coming update of Dorico?

1 Like

Hi. Here’s one project with headless noteheads included. Use it in the library manager to import that notehead style to your projects. If you’ve never done it, you’ll see what an incredible tool that library manager is!
Empty project with headless notehead.dorico (398.2 KB)

2 Likes

Ultimately, I don’t think having a “headless notehead type” is the right way to address this requirement; rather you should be able to specify by way of a property that a particular notehead should not appear, but this isn’t trivial to achieve, because we would want to maintain its effect on spacing, which is unusual for things that are not drawn in the music. So we will in due course implement a proper solution to address this requirement, but it won’t be by adding an headless notehead type.

3 Likes

Thank you very much to make this headless noteheads project.
I use the library manager for the first time and it’s an incredible tool indeed.
I just hope headless noteheads will be included in further versions of Dorico.

Once you have them, you simply need to save as default and they will be present in all yout future projects!

1 Like

In Noteheads sets…
I saved as default your headless notehead set
but this set didn’t appear on my new project.

Are you sure your new project was created after you saved as default? On my system it does work as expected…

I think you need to click the other Save as Default star, in the list on the left, in order to save the whole notehead set to your user library and make it available in other projects.

3 Likes

Thank you Lillie_Harris
You were exactly right.
I could get the set in a new project :+1:t2:

1 Like

Note that Dorico 4.3 has added the hide notehead property in Engrave mode. Very very nice.

2 Likes