I want the chord symbol region in the score but not the part - is that possible?

Hello everyone. I incorporated a chord symbol region in a few parts of this score to suppress the instrument changes until an appropriate time (usually the next page). However, now that the score looks exactly how I want it, I want to do the opposite with the part. By that I mean, I don’t want the chord symbol region, just a simple multimeasure rest. Is that possible? I have attached a picture below.

Unfortunately, no: chord symbol regions affect all layouts.

Could you perhaps duplicate everything on the staff to a new player, hide the chords on that staff, hide that player in the score, and then create your part based on that?

This one is doable by making the clefs match. Dorico will still change the instrument “early,” but won’t draw the clef unless it’s different. You just need to have the Glock use a percussion clef, then change the clef at the actual entrance.

If it looks like this in Galley …

… then it can look like this in the part:

(Beating a dead horse, but there really needs to be an option for a “late” instrument change. Gould is simply wrong with her advice on this one.)

2 Likes

Agree – except rather than “wrong” I would just say that she didn’t account for other types or practices of instrument changes on one staff.

This does not incorporate the chord symbol region however which is the issue I am experiencing. Unless your suggesting I use the clef to avoid implementing the chord symbol region?

Yep, you can avoid using the chord symbol region altogether with the “matching clef” (and matching key if needed) workaround. Unfortunately when you have a situation where the number of staff lines change, then it doesn’t work and you have to use the chord symbol region, but I usually match the clefs and use independent key sigs to make it look like Dorico is making a “late” change, even though it actually is still “early.”

Sorry, just saw this. I really think an “early” change is just wrong. An “early” change contradicts her own advice on clefs. From page 9:

“Where there needs to be a change from the more standard clef, retain this clef until the barline before the next entry. This placing alerts the performer to the change at the relevant point (i.e. at the entry), and not further back before a group of rests, where it may be overlooked.”

I think a key sig that accompanies an instrument change belongs at the point of entry as well for the exact same reasoning. I never understood why she would give that advice on page 9, then contradict it for a instrument change. Perhaps for clarity with cues, but I still think it’s much better to place it where it won’t be “overlooked,” using her words.

Yes, for the clef, I completely agree. I was thinking of the text indication, which I would want to be able to determine separately from clef & key. For an early change, “To __” is appropriate, but for a JIT change, just the instrument name and a colon, right-aligned before the entrance.

1 Like