I wish I could... (automation)

…move the faders after I´ve enabled automation. (You know the little green “R” button).

Moving the fader would raise or lower all my automation in that track, but instead I have to always open the automation track back and forth, select all the automation dots and move them up or down. Really annoying and slow when mixing!

Also it´s quite a mess, opening and closing all those automation tracks all the time. Wish the automation would be just on top of the track! And with right click or something I could easily change the automation track from volume to panning to sends and so on…

Wish Steinberg will do something about this!

Maybe you should read up on automation a little bit…

What do you mean?

I mean the manual…

How does reading the manual change the functions of Cubase? Like for example drawing the automation curves on top of the track without opening those unnecessary clutter automation tracks?

This tutorial demonstrates the “cannot move fader” issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhU-ZlU_-Zw

At 4:38 he turns on the automation in the master fader and the master fader “locks up”. Cannot move it anymore.

Try enabling write automation (the little ‘w’ button).

How does reading the manual change the functions of Cubase?

It doesn’t but it would make you aware of how to use trim mode.

did I imply it does…? Of course it does not

Hey all

To the original poster, cubase’s automation is a lot more flexible than you think. Learn about the automation panel and the different fill and trim modes. You won’t look back. Also a word of advise, if you start a post off with all guns blazing you’re kinda shooting yourself in the foot. Folks are less likely to assist an agro first post.

I for one was hoping this thread was going to be a constructive discussion of missing automation features in Cubase.

Firstly I agree with the OP on being able to view automation on the track itself if wanted. Not to replace lanes, but as an additional option. This is very useful in other Daws and I know I would use it.

Secondly being to group or link automation on multiple tracks would be also most welcome. Currently having to link faders, place all tracks in write and physically write every move works, but is clunky.

Finally quantizing of automation points. Yes I use the project logical editor for this, but again a clunky work around. Would be so easy to just set grid, select nodes and press Q.

For what its worth those are my automation wishes

Peace all.

It does nothing. Still can´t move the fader and change volume globally.

Tried the trim mode. Horrible workaround! No way I´m going to use it. One automation line in the track is already enough to my eyes. Much “better” (easier, faster, not confusing) to just choose all the automation points and raise/lower them.

I would really like just to move the frickin fader up and down to change my track´s volume. Too much to ask? :confused:

Sorry, don´t mean to come off as agressive. Just frustrated.

And yeah, the option to be able to see and edit a specific automation on top of the track without opening the lanes would be wonderful! At least the volume!

no.

Now, if you don’t bother change the routing of your tracks and/or change the routing of your automation data, there’s a way to do, what I find clumsy on analog style automation replica, but most natural to do in the digital domain. So

either

1. route your volume automated track not to the master, but to another (group) track which is routed to the master. Now move the group tracks fader…

2. seek a “channel tools” plugin, BlueCats Gain thingies, for example. These adds an additional fader/knob to your channel, so to speak, you might copy the tracks volume automation to an automation lane with the gain plugs fader/knob as target. Afterwards, you don’t automate the Cubases Tracks Channel Volume, but the Gain Plug, giving you the same result, but leaves you tracks fader for editable overall track volume…

I know, these are just workarounds, but its the way Cubases Automation system works. And once you get used to automate tool plugs within the Mixer, instead of the Mixer itself, your Mixer stays a Mixer :wink:

A fairly simple way to change all or some of the automation is to select the required blobs and use the info line.

Yes, that´s what I´m doing and that´s what I´m complaining about.

I admit it´s fairly simple, but quite annoying when you are doing it thousand times a day. I always have to:
1. Open the automation track
2. Select all the blobs (and carefully make sure that ALL blobs are selected!)
3. Change the value
4. Close automation track.

More simple way would just be:
1. Raise the fader, done!

You could just use the gain control at the top of the mixer, hold alt and click drag ? Works for me…

Tip: just right-click the automation track “select all events”

…and here´s a good and fast way to… copy all selected automations points to another automation lane:
    (-> It doesn´t matter which track or automation class!)
  • use the marquee-tool and select all desired automation points
  • press ALT and drag to another automation lane (incl.arrange/project quantisation!)
  • that´s it.

I take it you know how to use Trim Mode?

1. seek a “channel tools” plugin, BlueCats Gain thingies, for example. These adds an additional fader/knob to your channel, so to speak, you might copy the tracks volume automation to an automation lane with the gain plugs fader/knob as target. Afterwards, you don’t automate the Cubases Tracks Channel Volume, but the Gain Plug, giving you the same result, but leaves you tracks fader for editable overall track volume…

Excellent suggestion !

And of course! you can use the on stock plugins for that, like e.g. “GEQ 10”, “Studio EQ” etc.
these plugins have an additional gain function “output / gain parameter”, so it´s easy to automate additional gain adjustments in this context!
I do this every now and then. :sunglasses:

Dear KBJRock,

what you suggest can’t work because when you use ‘volume’ automation, what you’re automating is actually the fader’s position, so if afterwards you can just move the fader to wherever you want, you would be either “overwriting” the automation or the automation wouldn’t be significant at all. So you would be killing the whole ‘volume’ automation principle!

If you want to change the overall level on a channel with automation, just select all the nodes, click on one them (any) and move the mouse to the desired position (Press the ‘Ctrl’ key on your keyboard to avoid them moving horizontally).

Regards