I wrote Steinberg to get a refund

Hi.
Disappointing.
It may be the fault of consumers who were looking forward that “Dorico” would come up, but in my opinion, and I think in the opinion of a lot of consumers, Steinberg has made a big mistake selling a totally incomplete software.
It is very unethical to use users of Sibelius or Finale, (by the way, 2 excellent software programs) to test a buggy program, which is not the worst, but an unfinished software, which may be very promising, but now is only a nice project for which happy users of Sibelius or Finale have paid 280 euros. Publicity during these years of software development has been very unclear and paying 280 euros for development program is clearly a fraud. The money should be paid when the product is finished. Nobody pays money, for example, for a car that still hasn’t wheels, or seats, or engine. I think Steinberg hasn’t been out to the expectations.

ON behalf of your wife and family, and your Dorico family, please take some well-deserved time off. You do us no good burned out and exhausted.

Thanks for your tireless efforts! Get some rest. :exclamation:

Mike

I get your frustration! And I have to agree this was probably pushed out the door too early.

However, I don’t know if you had the chance to use Finale when it first came out…“terrible” wouldn’t begin to cover it (perhaps just my opinion). It was buggy as heck, HARD to use, and you struggled with it just to do basic things. I’m certain Finale users will disagree with me here (that’s OK; I own Finale, and to be fair only used it mainly in the early '90s). But the point is, both Finale and Sibelius had a LOT of issues and problems in their teething years. And it took YEARS for them to mature and come to the point where they are today.

Comparing Dorico to Finale or Sibelius would be like comparing a toddler to an adult. I know, you’re going to tell me their advertising says Dorico is the new “gold standard” so they in fact are the ones who started the comparisons. I get it. Some swagger there. But at some point, hopefully soon, it will be justified.

In fact you might have been saying the exact same thing about Finale had you bought version 1.0 and tried it out. The early versions were really “bad” (again, according to me - no disrespect to Finale peeps).

So I totally get your frustration, and on a simple level, you are right: too many things are not working or available yet for a commercially viable release. But it’s a process, and perhaps Steinberg couldn’t afford to fund a project more than 4 years without any revenue. That’s a long time to go with absolutely nothing but publicity to go on.

And to be fair, Steinberg released the software with the caveats that many features would not be available yet, and quite a few will be developed in the next few months and given to current owners for free. That’s good faith, if you ask me.

And the other side of this coin is, Sibelius is effectively dead! It was the best game in town for many, and it’s been sort of left for dead now for several years. That leaves Finale, which many find difficult, as I stated. I for one am so grateful the original developers of Sibelius were hired to create Dorico. Otherwise, what should fill the gap? And 4 years in the development phase - that’s so exciting! They spent the time to really, really create a solid foundation for the program so they can build it correctly.

Thanks for sharing your feelings. You are not alone. But I am certain this fabulous team will deliver and already there are some very exciting features working as-is.

Best to you, :smiley:

Mike

Thank you Daniel! It is great to have you taking care of everything. Please, let me know if it is a “clean way” to de-authorise the Code of a computer. I do understand that if that isn’t possible then the door will be open for dihonnest used of the software.

If that is the case–a computer cannot be de-authorised–then I will happily keep my license and bear my mistake for not waiting to test the demo.

I want to take the opportunity to say that I am a big fan of Dorico and that I think is a fantastic development, Congratulations about All you have done so far, it is amazing!!!. (I have been in love with the software notation since the times of C-Lab Notator and the first Steinberg on the Atari ST.

Best luck with the fixing, implementation and development of Dorico, I know it is a winner because of the great team it has behind.

Carlos Bermudo

I agree… I wish Steinberg would agree to refund. It feels very unfair to pay for a program that I can’t really use professionaly. Daniel and the team are doing an amazing job helping and being available for everyone. But still, That’s a huge amount of money to pay and it feels like I’m part of the testing team (who usually get money and don’t pay).

Please update us about your conversation with steinberg un this issue. Thank you.

That’s why I say: a public beta would save you from this headache.

I did not hesitate at any time about Dorico developers honesty. I’m sure in a few years will be the best notation software market, without forgetting that Notion and Studio One are there giving battle and driving a much more affordable price.
Perhaps software buyers are very undemanding. I own Cubase 8 and I think it is a real marvel. We can enjoy it after many years of planning and work.
All my recognition for D ,. Spreadbury and his team, but I can not say the same of trade policy of Steinberg. Cubase users have been praying for a long time a score editor for musicians really integrated into Cubase. I would have paid 280 euros , or even more for it.
The answer of Steinberg is to create an independent program, which we all thought he was going to look a lot like Cubase, but Dorico today has absolutely nothing to do with Cubase, except the audio engine.
Doric is a program unfinished. Daniel Spreadbury and his team know it… It is the wrong Steinberg trade policy that has produced disappointment and discomfort of so many users. In trade policy you can’t sell the future before the present.
One thing I don’t agree with you. Sibelius will not be dead until Dorico kill him. That thing hasn’t happened yet.
I wish it happened as soon as possible.
My best regards.

Actually, Daniel Spreadbury has been saying that Dorico would not have integration with Cubase since he started the Making Notes blog, in the year A.D. 2013.

It was stated explicitly in the FAQ, and and these forums many times.

I’d suggest setting the program aside as an investment. When each upgrade comes up, check its new functionality and re-evaluate. Chances are getting a refund now and then buying back in later will cost you more in the long run, particularly if you bought your first copy as a cross-grade (which, since you are a professional, is likely).

(It’s not unlike a stock investor that goes to cash at the first sign of market weakness and then is out of the market as it rises.)

Talk about undemanding: you gleefully bought software that you a) knew was v1.0 and b) didn’t know what it was supposed to be.

I never saw anything published by Daniel that said it was “going to look a lot like Cubase”.

Actually, if Dorico did look like Cubase, I probably wouldn’t be interested in it. I don’t need another sequencer - one is quite enough, and anyway the one I use isn’t Cubase.

Hi.
When you buy a new software, you never know what are you going to buy exactly. Throughout of my life I’ve bought many musical software programs and I’ve still tested more.
In many cases I didn’t like this one or another one program. That’s all. I know perfectly well that a new software is not released smoothly. I’m not demanding a refund. I know I’ve made an investment that will eventually pay off. But that is not the question. The issue is the transparency in the market. Companies like Steinberg have to make more clear what they are going to come up . I know D. Spreadbury said that the first version would lack many important functionalities, but either I understand the English language very poorly, (which you’ll already have noted) or it was said that the first version would already have keyboard editor, you could edit MIDI controllers, could be assigned VST expressions, and more functions that simply has not been implemented yet.
I’ll wait patiently for the updates of the program.
It doesn’t matter if I buy the software gleefully. What do you mean by that? I just expected a launch of the program, with all the normal bugs, but with functions that Steinberg had announced. (Since the first version). Nothing more than that.

Early adoption without a trial is a ‘risk’. Period.

I want in early, and hope the product succeeds…so I’m taking the risk and paying to play. I’m not really expecting the product to be terribly useful (in terms of total value at this steep price point) right away, but I’m hedging my bet on how well individuals involved in this team did with Sibelius. I might be wasting my money…but if this product fails…it may be decades before we see another attempt at a ‘fresh approach’ in the realm of Notation Software.

NEVER buy software you cannot get a demo to ‘test’ unless you understand that getting into a ‘first release product’ is mainly a ‘show of support’, a ‘bet on the future’ or a display of ‘confidence’ in the future of the product.

This team needs fans and support if we want the ‘Father Company’ to continue with the project. Without some sales and revenue streams…it gets evermore difficult for the company to keep the project going and growing.

I agree that in ‘this case’ Steinberg should be a bit more flexible on refunds, as the backlash could cost them dearly in the long run…however, let it be a lesson.

A reasonable compromise would be to:

1. IF the user put the software on a fresh USB key that came in a boxed version: Allow the customer to return the package AND the USB key with the licenses on it. Once confirmed the keys are safely in company custody, refund the full purchase price.

OR

1. If the user doesn’t have a USB key, or has other licenses on the key (Such as Cubase, or whatever), Steinberg could charge a ‘deposit’ to ship a USB Licenser to the customer who wants to make a return with instructions on how to move the keys to the new licenser. The instructions need to be very clear on which keys to move in eLicenscer, and how to move them. Once Steinberg confirms they got their USB Licenser back, and all the relevant software-keys are back in their possession they could make the refund and return the deposit for the USB Licenser.

The truth is, Steinberg could set up a special ‘dongle deposit’ account and recoup a few cents in interest on the ‘deposit money’ people send in for temporary USB licensers. Moving money around so it ‘works for the company’ is nothing new for the smart folks in management, so let them earn their keep on this one :slight_smile:

In exchange for making the user jump through the extra hoops of dealing with the dongle system, Steinberg should consider offering a considerable discount (value of all the shipping and waiting) that can be applied to Steinberg/Yamaha/Partner Company products.

The proposal above places a tremendous amount of responsibility and trouble on the user, but at least it would show some effort on the part of Steinberg to share some of the ‘transaction risk’ in ‘first release’ product launches like this one.

Lesson for Users:
Don’t gamble on software you can’t test yourself unless you are willing accept the risks that come along with being an early adopter to a new piece of technology.

If you can’t get a demo, and you can’t afford to take a risk on the investment…WAIT next time.

Lesson for Steinberg:
Don’t release a product until there is a demo available.

I have to say, I’m with akkad86 and others. While I’ve appreciated the quick response on issues, the unfortunate responses have almost always been “this features isn’t yet available, but we hope it will be soon.” That means you pushed something out the door before it was ready. I would have rather waited until next year to get the product than pay money and have to wait for a usable program. I can’t actually use the software for anything at this point. Since there are many unavailable articulations, I can’t even print the music I input. I can’t export to MIDI, because the tempo and dynamics don’t export. Even exporting to XML to fix this in another program doesn’t work. The articulations, tempo marks or crescendo/decrescendo marks don’t export (or don’t export properly).

I REALLY DO understand that an application of this magnitude takes time. It’s just feeling like you didn’t take the time needed before you released it–you’re taking it afterwards. I haven’t had the crashes or bugs that some have reported. Having had a taste of Dorico, I think I would actually buy it in the future, but for right now, I think I need my $300 back since it’s unusable in its current state.

There is no refund from SB; so, sell it - take a $10 or $20 hit or whatever… its an option…?

I’m not at all happy with what I’ve received in exchange for $300 (thank God that it wasn’t full priced), but I’ve simply accepted the fact that I should never have made the move without being able to exercise a demo version first. That’s my own error and an expensive lesson.

At this point I doubt that Steinberg could afford to provide refunds to unhappy customers. The negative cash flow would be too large and the publicity would likely doom Dorico.

Nope, not an option.

“The customer shall receive the non-exclusive , perpetual, non-transferable right to use the contractual products in accordance with the contract.”

We paid our fee and took our chances.

That is a legality that prevents a customer selling the product (license) on directly to a third party, isn’t it…? Alternately, you must go through SB themselves, in order that they handle the transfer of license/ownership. This ensures the new buyer is entitled to (reduced) updates/upgrade prices and full access to Tech Support. The sellers account is nullified (for that product). I mean, people sell Cubase often enough without any grief…

Anyway, I’m a little out of my depth now… :slight_smile:

Just an update while Daniel get back to us with the possibility of returning the license and get a refund. I hope that he does bring good news!

I guess that Steinberg is not being very flexible at all. That attitude does not really help to cope with the problem that they (Steinberg) have introduced with the release of Dorico.

I teach a jazz guitar workshop at the University of Seville, in Spain. I never saw a link for the Crossgrade from Sibelius and Education at 179€, they did not put it in the store the first day. So, for that reason I did not apply for it.

I wrote to them to see if I can be considered for that option. Guess what? Too late, the same answer as to return the software. Makes me starting to hate Steinberg. I never had worked with them before, and hopefully never after this ordeal. They have policies so that they can get your money and run, don’t even give a chance. It is hard for me to believe it.

Here is my original message and their answer:

To: info@steinberg.de
Date: 21.10.2016 18:48
Subject: Dorico

Hello,

I discovered that there is an option to buy Dorico as crossgrade from Sibelius and Education.

I purchased the crossgrade from Sibelius, is any way that I can get the discounted offer? I teach at the University of Seville.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Carlos G. Bermudo

On Oct 26, 2016, at 3:44 PM, Info Steinberg <info@steinberg.de> wrote:

Dear Mr. Bermudo,

If the license isn’t activated yet you can get a refund and just buy the education crossgrade. For that please get in conatct with asknet. Here are the contact details:

asknet AG
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3
76131 Karlsruhe Deutschland
Phone: +49 (0)721.96458-0
Fax: +49 (0)721.96458-99

Write us:
info@asknet.com

Best regards,

Jan Riesener
Steinberg Technical Support