i5 or i7 for Cubase 6/Win 7 system?

OK, I’ve ordered everything… It came in just over $900, not including the OS, using Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com. I’m getting the CPU at Microcenter for $250 (local pickup), when it’s going for $300 everywhere else.

• Intel Core i7 2600 CPU
    ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard
    8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
    WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6.0 HDD
    WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6.0 HDD
    Corsair 650TX Enthusiast PSU (non-modular)
    EVGA GeForce 9500GT Dual Head GPU
    Plextor SATA DVD/CD burner
    Coolermaster - CM Storm Scout Mid ATX Case

I’m looking forward to building this bad boy! Everything should be here by mid-week. Wish me luck.

Thanks for your help, guys.
Chris

Chris, that sounds like a beast - I’d be interested to hear your impressions when you’ve got it up and running.

Steve.

I just installed a 970 (I had a 920) for quite a while) and I’m wondering if you have any advice on over clocking it? i tried a couple of things but because it’s not “unlocked”, I guess it’s a little trickier (My 920 was easy).

920 vs 970 should be the same tweaks.
way too much to put in a post…

no i did not overclock the 950 yet but i´d be very curious to know if there is a notable performance boost if i put an 970 in with 6 cores? Or are the cores unnecessary for better cpu performance and is “ghz” the more relevant fact?

I just upgraded to a I7 970 from a 920 and I noticed a huge difference.I had my 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz but the 970 is 3.2 stock and I’ve managed to overclock the 970 to 3.8ghz (still testing and it took some tweaking) and it is screaming! I got the 970 locally for $475 and sold the 920 for $180 so it was a cheap upgrade…

A bit, but hopefully not too much “off-topic”: as Scott said, most modern mid to high-end CPUs are more than enough for most users, even for quite heavy use. My 4 GHz 6-core AMD does a good job with music production, but since Scott seems to know about things to come, I’d like to ask him: have you by any chance already tested the new, very soon available 8-core AMD Bulldozer processors yet? I think this is a relevant question for many of us, since those processors are not only compatible with many existing motherboards (like my own Asus Crosshair IV Formula), but are also quite potential alternatives to i7. Since the “Bulldozer” is AMD’s first completely new CPU design in very many years, it would be interesting to know what we can expect of it in music production when it comes available in 1-3 months.

HI,
good question. however i no longer enjoy the relationship i had with AMD at one time. (mostly because i tell the truth) but also changes in company policy.
in fact last time i asked for pre-release processors they told me they were no longer allowed to give them out.
only a handful of review sites get them now.

i am sure in part thats true but me not singing AMD praises anymore i am sure had something to do with it :wink:

so i will have to wait until they are available to buy.

based on AMDs track record of late and what i have read of them (bulldozer) i am not waiting with baited breath. i doubt they can even come close to present Intel processors much less what intel will release end of yr.

double post arggh

Hey, how is the machine working for you? I am planning to build one with intel 2600k
Any glitches?

Hello

How does it work with an I7 2600 ?

Regards

It works great, very stable no problems whatsoever.

Extremely powerful, can handle lots of plugins.

Have 2xSATA II HD 2TB for East West Libraries and it’s just great.

Thanks !

A last question :

did you turn off the hyper threading ?

Regards

No, I haven’t - and it works fine ! :smiley: no spikes and glitches…

I only have some crackling on the MOTU 2408 outputs, but I don’t think it’s because hyper-threading is ON.

Sorry it took so long for my review, Steve, but I’ve been busy using Cubase 6.5 with no problems, and haven’t been on the forum in almost 2 years. A question about the audio pool brought me back here. But I digress…

Now for my belated (but time tested) review of my Sandy Bridge i7 2600 system, running Windows 7 64 bit:

This PC is my studio computer that I use almost exclusively for audio and video recording/editing. I don’t have a ton of programs installed, and I don’t clutter it up by downloading crap I don’t need. By now, I’m sure there are plenty of newer, faster systems out there, but this system as configured is an absolute monster and has been rock solid (as has Windows 7).

As I write this, Cubase 6.5 is humming along; I’m recording and mixing live drum tracks for an instrumental jazz/funk online collaboration project. Currently running 10 tracks of drums, and a stereo mix of Rhodes, synth, and bass from the composer, a midi track, plenty of inserts, plug ins, VST instruments, etc. The ASIO performance barely tops 10%, and is usually around 8%.

I just took a quick look and the Core i7 2600 CPU still hasn’t come down in price at all, 2 years after its release. That says something right there. I’d highly recommend it. Now, back to making music!

Best,
Chris