i7 6800k or 7700k?

Hi everybody!

Very simply, I need to upgrade my DAW and I don’t understeand what kind of processor is better for my work… I’ve Cubase 8.5.30 Pro, Windows 10 Pro x64, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface and I work (for now) only with midi, using Vienna Symphonic Library vst (actually I’m using Vienna Special Bundle 1 + plus). So, I’m an orchestral composer for videogames (or rather, I try to be ahahahah), and I looking for Vienna Dimension Strings, Brass ecc… Is better a multicore processor like 6800k (6 core) or a quadcore processor like 7700k with more core frequency ? And why?

Oh! My budget is around 500€, and I’m open to other proposals (actually I’ve the i7 4790) :slight_smile:

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad English!

get 7700k and as much ram as you can afford

Hi moddjo, thank you for your answer! So, why do you recommend 7700k instead of 6800k?

It’s because the 7700k is faster than the 6800k, and higher CPU speed is more important than more cores.

Ohh, really good! So, the 7700k is the right choice or there are some processor better than it at the same price? For example, what about the AMD Ryzen series?

There a several posts on the forum that seem to say the Ryzen is not a good performer for audio

All right, now I know. But looking into this article posted by another member of this forum ( http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/03/02/amd-ryzen-first-look-for-audio/ ) we can see from the chart that the 6800k is more powerful than 7700k… Maybe did I get it wrong? :confused:

Yes if you clock the 6800K to 4.0Ghz its faster, maybe 15-20%.

Ohhh, I’ve understeand… So, now really I don’t know wich CPU is better for my work on Cubase now, really, I’m so confused… Please help me about that question :frowning:

Look here real audio benchmark : https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/audio-pc-processor

I am sure you are overthinking it. Of the two buy the cheaper one. The i7 7700k can be overclocked if you are into that.

But if you are already running an i7 4790, you really might only see incremental improvement.

@Alex
The Sockel 2011 is way more robust,and you can add more Ram up to 128GB.
:sunglasses:

Wow, very detailed guide, thank you so much!

So, I thank you all guys for your support, and at the end I think that I will go on the 6800K, cause I saw that chipset x99 (socket 2011-v3) have 8 RAM slots and in the future I can upgrade with other performing CPU (likes 6900k, 5960x, 6950x) cause they have the same socket!

Do you agree with my reasoning? :slight_smile: