i7 950 temperature

Don’t worry about the hijack. All interesting stuff :slight_smile:

Prime95 is a very extreme test compared to real-world use. I’d download something like CPUID’s free hardware monitor, and watch your temps during actual use. It’s very rare (if ever) for you to have all of your cores maxed out 100% for seconds at a time, much less minutes (like Prime95 does). It’s mostly designed for overclockers to gauge how hard their pushing their CPU’s and seeing if they’ve got a stable (and adequately cool) system.

Here’s the link:

The most intense thing you’d be doing with a DAW is rendering. So turn this on and render a few songs and see what your max temps are. My guess is you won’t come too close to that Prime95 number. The only time I get close to Prime95 numbers is when I do the occasional gaming. I’ve got an overclocked 930 (running at 3.21). It gets hotter than it ideally should, but that probably means it’ll last 5 years instead of 10 (or something like that). In other words, unless you plan on keeping your computer for a decade or more, you’ve probably got little to worry about even at 70 degrees Celsius.

My $.02. Others may disagree or have mileage that varies.