iCloud issues

How exactly is iCloud supposed to work in PC’s, is this working for anybody?

I created a file on the iPad, I can’t control where it’s saved, but it went into

/private/var/mobile/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud-com-steinberg-iosdorico/Documents/XYZ.dorico

Well and good, look like by default it goes to an iCloud container. However on two PC’s it’s not showing up anywhere in iCloud, nor on a full disk search, nor on my Mac. Dorico is enabled for iCloud in the iPad prefs.

So thinking maybe despite the location on iPad it’ not in iCloud what if I save it there? I don’t see a way to do that, even exporting doesn’t give the option.

It seems that the only way to get this to work is if you create a file first on a mac or PC, then access from the iPad?

The issue is that at present Dorico is telling iCloud that its documents folder should be hidden, so it won’t appear when you browse your iCloud Drive folder, or indeed when you look inside the Files app on your iPad itself. This is something we will adjust in the next Dorico for iPad update, which should make the Dorico folder inside your iCloud Drive folder appear automatically.

4 Likes

Thanks Daniel, makes sense.

Another problem is how to delete these private container files, AFAIK I can’t do that. Converting them all to public is fine with me.

Yeah and another issue is that opening a public iCloud file on iPad immediately warns that the file is deleted and do I want to save? Which is alarming and confusing, and either answer appears to still save (as a private container). I assume that’ll go away with the public iCloud folder fix - just FYI

14th June 2022
Dorico Pro 4.1.0.1076
Dorico iPad 2.3.10.1045
Macbook 12.4

Just been making some experiments:

If I create a new project on the iPad, it appears in a folder called Dorico on iCloud which is perfectly visible in Finder.
It also appears on my MacBook iCloud so all it takes is a double-click to open it in Dorico.

If I create a new project on the MacBook, then Save-as to the Dorico iCloud folder, then I can find it on the iPad, double-tap, and it opens in Dorico.

The Dorico folder on both MacBook and iPad looks like a normal folder, except that it has a tiny little Dorico icon inside it. I didn’t create this folder.

So…all seems normal doesn’t it? (I can’t check all this on my Win10 machine just now as I’m not at home)

That does sound correct, Rob, yes, but the problem is that iCloud doesn’t behave this way for all users and on all devices, for reasons that as yet we don’t understand. We are working to understand it!

I have the problem that the dorico folder in iCloud only appears visible on my Mac mini 2014 intel i5 but not on my iPad Pro m1, I do not know if it has to do the m1 chip in all this.

No, I don’t think that’s it at all. Actual documentation from Apple about precisely how this should behave is essentially non-existent, but it is the experience of many developers that if the folder is created with the “private” flag set, it’s practically impossible to force that folder to then appear on devices where it has already been created.

It may be that we will have to create a whole new iCloud container that we always make sure is shown publicly, but then we have the potential concern that any projects located in the old iCloud container will no longer be readable by Dorico and users might need to manually move them, e.g. using the Terminal on their Mac computers.

Yeah Apple is good at not documenting internal stuff well, then changing it anyhow. FWIW I’m on the Mac Pro and I don’t see any of the Dorico stuff here in the public folder. Going to

cd ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/iCloud~com~steinberg~iosdorico/

It oddly created dot files with an .icloud suffix

Due to experiments and working between computers I’m not sure which versions these are.

I understand, let’s hope everything can be solved in the best way as it is something important to be able to have an optimal workflow and above all that is under the control of the users (the choice and manipulation of storage in iCloud).

You can bet on that one with this team. It’ll probably end up as a iCloud/Dorico (with a special folder icon) like other iOS/MacOS apps - they’ll figure it out.

The truth is that Dorico’s technical support team and developers are a marvel and I know they are working hard to solve it.