Iconica Sketch playing back mixed playing styles in upper and lower voices

I’m working on an SATB hymn arrangement, S&A on the upper staff, T&B on the bottom staff. When I switched to the Iconica Sketch Celli instrument, I wanted everything to play legato. But the outer voices (S&B) are playing staccato, while the inner voices (A&T) are playing legato. I’ve tried multiple playing styles, and other instruments, but these playback styles seem to be stuck. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Welcome to the forum, Stephen. If you need to use different playing techniques on the same staff at the same time, enable independent voice playback in the Routing section of the Track Inspector in Play mode.

Thank for for this suggestion, I had not tried this before. But after playing with this, I’m having the same issue, but it seems to be limited to the instruments in the Iconica Sketch library. Even when I have independent voice playback enabled, the notes that are in the same (upstem) voice have different playback styles, with the outer voices playing staccato, and the inner voices playing legato.

Can you cut your project down to just a small example that exhibits the problem you’re experiencing, and attach it here?

Sure! Here’s one project that is experiencing this problem:
Dear Refuge of My Weary Soul.dorico (1.8 MB)

Here’s an updated version of your project (don’t fret that it will report it was saved in a later version of Dorico: I just happened to be running a development build when I looked at your project).

Dear Refuge of My Weary Soul.dorico (1.8 MB)

The problem was that you didn’t have the appropriate expression map chosen for the Iconica Sketch Celli patch. The expression maps for the library are only added when you apply a playback template that uses the library, so to sort this out, what I did was apply one of the Iconica Sketch playback templates so that the Iconica Sketch Vlns, Vla, Celli expression map was added to the project. Then I loaded the Celli patch into the first four channels of a HALion Sonic instance, and in the Track Inspector panel in Play mode I chose the correct expression map for each channel.

2 Likes

Ah, this worked, thank you! I’m still very new to Dorico’s playback features, so I wasn’t even paying attention to the expression maps. Many thanks!