If a 32-bit plug is blacklisted, JBridge won't work?

Hi all

So, first point - I was aware that 32-bit support was being removed prior to purchase. Whatever the merits of that decision, I was reassured by this forum that JBridge would still work with 32-bit plugs. However, what I was NOT able to ascertain in advance was that legacy Cubase 32-bit plugs would be blacklisted and therefore (apparently) completely unusable.

Is there a way round this at all? Because my non-blacklisted 32-bit plugs (such as BFD Eco) work fine with JBridge, but the native ones can’t be removed from the blacklist, and therefore don’t work! The idea that a company is banning loyal customers from using its own products just makes my head explode.

If this can’t be resolved, then I simply won’t be able to use Cubase 9 and will have to ask for a refund, and go back to Cubase 8. I use Embracer, Q and Double Delay on everything (because they are straightforward, do the job and I know them inside out). It would simply be too much of a interruptionto my workflow to have to undo every single track. And besides, they’re great - so why would I choose to stop using them?

Thanks all

Godfrey

PC - Cubase 9 - Windows 10

You can rescan all plugins or delete the blacklist from the cubase data folder. Also make sure when using jbridge that the 32bit plugins are in a folder that is not scanned by cubase. Only the bridge files must be seen by cubase!

so why would I choose to stop using them?

Because moving to an all 64bit system will give you the best chance of a stable, efficient machine?

Yes it does seem draconian. However I made the decision to move on a long time ago and have not regretted it. Maybe it might be time to get to know some other software that might push you in interesting new directions as you learn how to use them. That does not mean you have to abandon previous work, as you still have C8.5 and you will be able to use it as long as you need to. I have found that the introduction of new ways of doing things increases creativity as well as my enjoyment of learning new skills and working methods.

Thanks, will try that.

Cubase 8 was perfectly stable on my machine, crashed maybe twice in the past two years.

Well you say that, but having installed Cubase 9 I can’t now run Cubase 8.

But that’s for another thread (if I don’t just throw in the towel completely).

The installation of Cubase 9 is a separate program to 8.5. They should be able to work on their own. The license you own is retrospective and will allow you to run C8 or 8.5 provided they are installed on your machine.

Cubase 9 has virtually wiped out all of my 32bit vst’s like everyone else. This is nothing to do with “moving on” Its do with using effects and instruments that we know love and are use to. To actually use a phrase like “VST Blacklist” I find downright insulting

Stability of a bridge depends on quality of the bridge. Just moving to 64 bit doesn’t automatically make your machine more stable.

When you say that your 32bit plugins are wiped out you are not meaning that they cannot be used in C8.5. I can both use 8.5 and 32 bit plugins in C8.5 should I choose. Apparently JBridge works in C9 as long as your 32 bit plugins are in a folder C9 can’t see. The bridged versions are then seen as 64 bit plugins. To be honest the Cubase Bridge was useless anyway and I had to use JBridge for my Variety Of Sound plugins. Having said that I soon found better alternatives and moved on.

As for the principle C9 of going 64 bit…well technology moves on and if developers don’t keep up they get left behind. It is unrealistic to expect Steinberg to deal with complaints if instability is often caused by plugins that were developed years ago and don’t meet the current criteria. The Blacklist is nothing new - it was there in 8.5. The fact is I knew that 32 bit plugins were not supported in this version before I purchased. I chose to buy after waiting for the initial reports and reactions to C9 on this forum. Most DAWs are moving in this direction.

Has anyone here tried jBridge with Steinberg’s Virtual Guitarist 2?

No, Cubase 9 will banish all 32 bit plug-ins to the Blacklist. What you must do is create another folder in which to put those plug-ins once they have been Jbridged. Cubase 9 will then see them as 64 bit plug-ins.

Next, and this is important, remove the folder that contains the original 32 bit plug-ins from your VSTplugins folder. No need to destroy them as you might need to do the same operation again in the future. Just remove them.

Then you’re good to go. It’s actually not rocket science and it works.

No no, first you put the 32bit plugins where C9 can’t see them (for example a “jbridge 32 bit plugins” folder in the Steinberg program files folder) and then you bridge them. The bridge files should be in the VST folder. The other way round and jbridge can’t find the 32 bit plugins any more after you move them. Jbridge loads the 32bit plug in in a 64 bit wrapper so it needs access the the 32 bit plug!

Did this work?

I have a soft spot for reverbA and reverbB from cubase SX but i cant seem to create bridging files because jBridge gets the error message “sorry this plugin only works with the host “Cubase SX””

Unfortunately not. JBridge does not seem to want to create bridging files for the legacy Cubase plugins. I’ve written to the developer to see if there’s any way he can help.

Also - when I delete the blacklist, Cubase immediately just generates a new one. So even if I can get JBridge to link to the old Cubase plugs, what then?

I will see if there’s a way round all this, but it’s not looking likely to work - and unless Steinberg do something about it they’ve lost a lifelong, loyal customer. Which just feels like a total slap in the face, given how much money I’ve given the company over the years.

Joao has confirmed JBridge won’t work with legacy Cubase plugs.

So I will be seeking a refund from Steinberg and they have lost my custom forever (unless they can sort this out quickly).

Have you tested that yourself? JBridge works perfectly with every 32 plug-in I have tried.

So I will be seeking a refund from Steinberg and they have lost my custom forever (unless they can sort this out quickly).

Steinberg made it perfectly clear to all from the outset that 32 bit plug-ins will no longer be supported in Cubase 9. And as such are not at fault and do not owe you a refund. They may however grant you one out of kindness but in no way do they owe you one.

Given that it was stated that there would be no support for 32 bit plugins in Cubase 9 you have little chance getting a refund. I mean Cubase is what it set out to be and we bought it with that understanding. If you did not check the specification first it is hardly Steinberg’s fault.

Personally I would continue to use 8.5 for all the current stuff and explore some different ways of working with C9.

It was NOT statet.
One is not obliged to serach in forum or newsletters for such an information.
Such a thing has to be statet in the shop product description.