If Dorico had Dorico...

I started to wonder what Dorico would have done if he had had Dorico…

I thought it would be something like this:
Palestrina Dorico.pdf.zip (67.4 KB)
( Or Dropbox)

1 Like

This is excellent. Which font did you use for the notes?

Beautiful!

:heart_eyes: (but personally, I’d make the ficta a tiny bit smaller)

It’s an extended version of MTF-Cadence. But November2 would work as well. And of course Bravura has the glyphs, because they’re all SMuFL — Diamond noteheads, Renaissance rests, etc.

Yes, still needs a bit of work - there’s no index things at the end of the lines, either. I’ve matched the same system breaks as the original in all but one line: more work needed on the spacing. (Slight edit made just now.)

Wow! Very nice!

Excellent, Ben!

For anyone wanting to know the details of how it was achieved:

The notes have to be in open metre, to avoid tied notes, but the rests need to be barred in 4/2 to get the groupings. (There’s an Engraving Option for “Old Style” multi-bar rests!) Obviously, each part has notes and rests at different places, so after trying to get complex individual metres for each part, I gave up and put each part in a separate flow.

Then create a new Notehead set with the desired noteheads, moving the stem positions to the middle of the head. Change the glyphs for Clef, Cut C. (You could change the accidentals, too.)

Then hide the remaining barlines by making them Dashed, and setting the Dash to 0 with 3 space gap! Set the Note Spacing globally to 1.5. (Using a custom ratio of 1.00 would be better in making every note the same distance, but this caused a few spacing problems.) Apply some extreme Note Spacing to squeeze up the rests; and change a few other Engraving options to keep stuff close.

I think Dorico would have been delighted with the results, and probably saved him a bit of time too. Though he’d have to wait 400 years for the laser printer.

1 Like

That looks absolutely gorgeous!

Brilliant, Ben! Inspirational!

Beautiful work, Sir!

I’ve updated the file in the original post: now with added custos! Also, various little improvements and some manual tweaking of notes (like I was back in Finale).

I forgot to say why I did this: I was transcribing a 16th-century print into Dorico, when I suddenly realised that the print was … by Dorico!

Anyway, it all goes to show how versatile Dorico can be.

Really good. Looks beautiful…

Gorgeous work, Ben !

Spectacular!

I did do something similar using similar techniques, but with non-proportional spacing, for Janequin’s “La Guerre” in a blog entry for Scoring Notes last year. However, your heavenly example puts mine to shame. It’s really very impressive. Thank you very much for posting!

Beautiful work!

Well done!!

Congrats Ben, Looks fantastic.

May I ask, how long do you think this took from start to finish?

I’d say only a couple of hours or so, and that included trying things out that didn’t work. Sorting out the bars (and hiding them) was the biggest job, with a bit of work on manual spacing.

I’ll do the other parts and time it!

really impressed from my part too … even though it’s not at all my field of work …