If Dorico had Dorico...

And if Sibelius had been using Sibelius, he might have realized he initially had the horn section playing at the wrong pitches in the 5th symphony last movement and wouldn’t have had to re-write the whole symphony to fix it and pretend it was simply a total revision!

Pretty good mate, I’ll look forward to seeing it complete :slight_smile:

Now if we can just find a printer that doesn’t jam when trying to print on velum.

Building a custom robot that can use a quill pen seems like a nice project for somebody :slight_smile:

Why isn’t this feature already included (in SE)?! :angry:

I happened to search for threads that mentioned the term ‘custos’ and wanted to mention that I’ve had this edition printed on 11x17" paper hanging on my office wall ever since you posted this, Ben. It is still so very lovely.

The links have gone bad in the original post (and can’t be edited); and I’ve revised and completed the entire set of parts.

14 Likes

Wow

Jesper

Wow Ben.! Missed this the first time round… How beautiful is that… :smile: So clear and absolutely ‘of a time’. Great work.
Thanks for posting.

Ben, I’ve had the original hanging on my office wall since you originally posted it. If is such beautiful engraving!

I do have a question for you though: while I have devised a method, what’s your approach for adding all of the custos? [pl: Custitiæ? Custici? …custoses? :joy: ]

I’ve tried two ways: either hijack a breath mark, or use a jazz ornament on the right side of the note.

Both require a bit of manual adjustment.

1 Like

I got the answer from a friend of mine who teaches Latin: custodes.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, Romanos, what’s -your- method for getting custodes?

I, too, have tried a few things.

Often I end up just using a free floating music text symbol (shift x text) but I’ve also experimented with grace notes before the barline and changing the noteheads to a custom set where the custos is the notehead. The nice thing about the gracenote method is that it is dynamic.