If You Get This Error: Soft e-Licenser Unrecoverable

My PC processed the Windows 10 Creators Update, and afterwards when I ran the Steinberg e-Licenser Control Center I got the following error message:

“The Soft e-Licenser stored on this computer seems to be altered in an unrecoverable way.
Please contact your software vendor to solve this issue.”

The license affected was my Dorico license.

A Google search returned this link to a Cubase customer who had the same problem:

The customer was advised to run the e-Licenser Control Center as administrator, and doing so solved their problem.

I tried it, and it solved my problem as well. I thought I’d share this to help anyone else who might encounter the same error message.

5 Likes

The relevant support article is also here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206083744-Windows-10-upgrade-or-update-disables-Soft-eLicenser

It happens from time to time when Windows is updated/upgraded with the soft e-licenser “feature”.

Microsoft just decided I needed to update Windows and … the eLicenser had a hiccup.
Ran it again as Administrator and all is fine again in 2021 as well. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

After the big windows 10 upgrade, running the cc as admin doesnt help. (Cubase)

Application ‘LCC2’ has caused the following error:

Process with the ID NOT found.

Options:

• Click to abort.

I recently had a problem restarting the LCC after a Windows update until I restarted the computer and then, first thing, ran the LCC as Administrator to update it.

The relevant support article (linked above) suggests uninstalling and reinstalling elicenser Control Center. Have you done that?

Yes, support suggested that and solved the problem.

“Run As Admin…” didn’t fix it.
Uninstall the elicenser completely, then reinstall and that fixed it.

I know it’s an old thread, but it just worked for me too! :+1: