I'm back! I just ordered Cubase 7.

Cool! :slight_smile:

I have it on my DAW computer too. Its not like SONAR X2 is bad, not at all…it more that Cubase 7 is amazing great. :smiley:
Example: External insert hardware FXs is a joke in SONAR. If you use it more then 2 insert, make the DAW unstable and latency dropouts not acceptable over 42ms. In Cubase 7 x64 it works like a dream. No overall extra buffer latency how many insert you add.
Amazing. I have like 3-4 inserted hardware FXS etc. all the time. I don’t even notice they are there in the system chain.

By the way talk about Mixer don’t work? I use “mixer view 2”. So far my mixer work perfectly so far. I haven’t work so many hours yet with it but still. :slight_smile: What can I say overall stable system and Cubase 7.

Best Regards
Freddie

I’m in the process in switching from Sonar X2 as well. The notation and expression maps did it for me but I keep finding more and more features that I love. It’s hard learning a new DAW from scratch but I’ve become a serious fan since using Cubase 7.

I have to admit, although I love Cubase 7 so far, I’ve been LOL’ing at this post since I read it weeks ago. Well done, sir.

Also switching from X2.

Kinda like moving from a basement sublet to a triplex on 5th avenue.

:slight_smile:

Yes! :smiley:

Perhaps you need to be away for awhile and check out some of the other DAWs functionality and stability to really appreciate how sweet Cubase 7 actually is. Then I think most of the Cubase 7 whiners would disappear on this forum.
Sure all programs have bugs, but Steinberg seem at least care to fix them as soon as possible.

By the way MIXER 1 GUI work fine too, no GUI abnormality either. I don’t know if my “how I made” the installation made the different? I did disable VIRUS program. After original disk install 7.0.0 I went directly to latest version 7.0.4 update. Perhaps that made the different, I don’t know?

Sometimes many of the “whiners” on many FORUMS; accusing the software program not work proper. After some post it often “come down too” they have made all kinds of “XP tweaks” on “Windows 7” they have found on the internet that incorrect and actually trash the functionality of the Windows 7 / 8-OS , AERO and how Cubase 7 and other programs communicate with graphic “API calls” in the system, disrupt essential other API calls and set it up so it make audio drop out instead.

A good example of these stupid tweaks floating around on the Internet, and wrong advice are like disable AERO, —> set to Scheduler to “Background task” instead of “PROGRAM”. and so on…
Of course it will not work then no matter what you do! :wink:

Best Regards
Freddie

…still present ! :mrgreen:

It’s not about C7 not working properly, but rather about all the regressions that have been made. Few examples (sorry for the ones who feel like I’m just repeating what I stated already several times in the pre ‘Freddie-H-is back’ era) :

• No more ‘Appearance/Work area’ page in the Preferences. Results : among others, we are no longer able to set the display intensity of the horizontal and the 3 vertical levels of the grid, either in the project window or in the editors ones.
  • Still in the Preferences, the ‘Appearance/General’ one is reduced to a manimal state. Results : we are no longer able to set the relative brightness of the buttons, among other useful things. So, there IS a workaround for this one : just… manually edit the relevent setting in the defaults.xml file. An improvement ? Sure ! As easy and straightforward as can be…

These two essential features pages to set accuratly the UI have been replaced by a colour thingy with which you cannot even copy and paste a colour set from an item to another. But it’s not all :

• The project cursor has ‘gained’ a hideous white mask which makes it appear all blurry on a high resolution monitor such as mine (a 26" one in 1920 x 1200 pixels). Uneditable and no workaround. A major PITA foe someone with decaying eyes as mine. Who asked for such an ‘improvement’ ?
  • The Overview line has now an unavoidable plain white background, no matter the colour sets you try to apply.
  • The R/W buttons don’t behave as they should when narrowing FX/Group tracks. They keep on being displayed, at the opposite of the other ones.

Now, about the new features :

• ASIO guard is useless and even counterproductive on my setup. Don’t know for Mac owners, I admit, but still… Where is the improvemnt ?
  • The RCE is also useless if you don’t have one of the controllers that appear in the very restricted list of them for which RCE might do something for you. If, as me, you have other ones, you’re out of luck and Generic remote devices are not usable. This one was the main reason for me to upgrade…
  • Even at its 7.0.4 state (already 4 updates…), the brand new MixConsole is still prone to erratic behavior. This without talking about the design which has nothing to do with the rest of Cubase.

In a more general way :

• The amount of resources taken for a strictly identical project based on a template is significately higher, compared to previous versions.
  • It takes ages to load a project with samples based VSTis in it. An example ; loading times of the same 380 Mb samples bank in Emulator X3 :
  • Standalone : 5 seconds,
  • C 5.1.1 : 9 seconds,
  • C 6.5.4 : 14 seconds,
  • C 7.0.2 : 19 seconds,
  • C 7.0.4 : 21 seconds.
    Call this an improvement…

Sorry, Freddie, but I remember you switching to Sonar a long while ago. Evidently, you missed C5 and C6 (especially 6.5). If you had at least one of them installed on your system, you would see what my ‘whinings’ are all about.

But, sincerely, I hope that you’ll keep enjoying C7 as much as I don’t…

:wink:

"Still Present"… :laughing: :smiley: :mrgreen: that’s funny and cool! :smiley:

Sure I know how it use to work in Cubase 6.5 ,6 and 5, and 4. SX3 etc… Have been using and working with Cubase in other Studios too.

The new COLOR customization in 7.0.4 are just sweet. Now you can actually set the color instead of use these “faders” ; that is vast improvement in my opinion.
Now I can set the color BLACK of the “arrange background” instead any set any color of the “faders”, any color of the GUI blocks, any Color of the Grid etc. As you perhaps notice editors like “Key Editor” has its own grid, and color skin too. As you perhaps remember the “key editor” follow the “main skin & Grid color” before 7.0.4. I don’t want to use Black inside there. Very good and great improvements. Great! :smiley:

One thing they have take away though is the be able to control the “buttons” brightness . That is kind of unfortunate but Steinberg must have done that for a good reason.

About graphic appearing blurry?
My graphic in Cubase 7 and other programs is just sweet. I use 2X 28HD screens # in 1920 X 1080 resolution. ASUS NVIDIA Geforce GT 640 2GB RAM. I’m on PC, Windows 7 x64. Are you using ATI or very low-level card? That can explain it.

About set a “color” of the locater instead of “white” would be nice. But don’t worry, if I’m not mistaken Steinberg has already announced more color customizations and key commands over the mixer-view already in next update. Also fix set the “icons bug” in the Trackview.

About Emulator. I don’t know I don’t use it. For many years I have used Kontakt 5 instead. Its the best sampler I have ever used. Take my word for it! :slight_smile:
I have work with hardware and software samples from the beginning of the mid 1980ths like Emax, AKAI and E-mu E-Synth sampler to EXS24 and so on. I can recommend you check out Kontakt 5. It reads and load any format include Emulator X3 patches. :wink: :slight_smile:

About ASIO guard. I have it checked…It doesn’t change any behavior in my setup check or uncheck. Its more aimed for folks on OSX - MAC.

PC and Windows 7/8 is made for working with performance and Multimedia not like OSX MAC. Its worst OS if you want work professional with Music, Audio, Video, any multimedia, films, games etc. As you already know MAC its not good when it comes to low latency and performance. And some say that MAC doesn’t have or need virus program. What joke! :laughing: yes Mac do have virus and are not secure even slightly. Its total “open” like a book…Mac book… :smiley: same with IPhone.
Its take 3sec to hack and control. A IPhone are so unsecure so its banned of all governments employees around the world. A PC and Android phone (Linux OS) are much more secure if you want to talk about security. That is why many leading professional and large company has invest into Windows and Linux platform instead of MAC and OSX.

A MAC is great for peoples with novice skill and no real deep knowledge about how to operate a OS. Its because of that there are no deep option in the system OSX either. Its meant to be simple and no options. So you can’t decide or do anything with it or control specific way to work on you demand example low latency. So using Mac and OSX is really bad choice if you looking for a performance platform working with multimedia.

PC can and is very easy to use too if someone with some knowledge set it up for the novice user.

Best Regards
Freddie

:confused:

Freddie, did you really read my post ?

• I wasn’t attempting to start an Emulator X vs Kontakt debate. I was talking about project loading times with samples based VSTis : I only took EmuX as a loading time example…

• I wasn’t attempting to start a OSX vs Windows debate either. And what all the iPhone disgression is for ? Completely OT, sorry…

• About ‘graphic appearing blurry’, I was talking about a specific change : the new white masked project cursor and the real problems I have to use it precisely since this change. For everything else, don’t worry for me and my setup : I see clearly enough all the regressions made…

• About the color, the new way of setting things is amazing and ‘sweet’. Fine : I take note of this… For me, and at its present state, Cubase just lost settings that maked it proudly stand against the competition, the kind of things that eased the work with it and made it special and enticing to use, but to each his own…

You seem to have great skills to answer beside the points being discussed. Great ! Probably the typical syndrom of a new converted fanboy : everything in C7 is wonderful, as everything was in Sonar when you switched to it few years ago…

All the best !

Hi again my friend.

I thought I answered all and with extra in-depth information.
I’m sorry if you didn’t like or got me wrong?

I’m sorry but I have not notice any long loading times with Kontakt , Omnisphere
or other VSTI.?

Hope it help.

Best Regards
Freddie

haha… :mrgreen:

Here´s a very nice solution:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/line_up/cubase_elements_7/new_features.html

• Mix Console V7 (as the big version!)
  • full Midi (Key, Drum Editor)
  • im/export Cubase 7 projects (!!)
  • NO DONGLE required!
  • $ 99.- ($ 49.- EDU)

More Infos:
http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Cubase/Generation_7/Cubase_7/Downloads/Cubase_Comparison_Chart.pdf

regards,
C.

It’s quite terribly slow with PLAY and Kontakt when ~200MB is exceeded.

If I didn’t have VEP, I could not work with Cubase.