I'm thinking about buying Cubase Pro (because it's on sale right now)

I’m wondering how bi-directional is it with Dorico. That is, can I send a flow from Dorico to Cubase and have it play OK and can I record midi instruments in Cubase and have Dorico convert it into written music? What kind of issues should I be concerned with (if any)?

Doug :slightly_smiling_face:

You cannot open Cubase Files in Dorico and vice versa. You need to go via MusicXML or MIDI. I think some expression maps can be re-used, but I am no expert in this area at all. But generally, it’s not easier between Dorico and Cubase than Dorico and any other DAW.

But: the team has promised deeper connection possibilities for the future between these programs!

1 Like

For now they share the audio engine, a number of plugins and various Steinberg technologies like Note Expression. In this thread, Daniel said the teams are working on bringing Cubase and Dorico closer together.

For the moment, you can have Dorico send MIDI out data into Cubase, which can host your VST instruments. The advantage of this way of VST hosting is that you can record MIDI for much finer editing in Cubase, bounce that MIDI to audio and mix stems or each track if that’s what you prefer. This is much better than the VE Pro but yes, probably possible with most DAWs and isn’t Cubase specific.

Thanks for the replies so far. I’ll probably be making my purchase in the next few days, but I’m still interested in anybody else’s reply.

Doug :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They do very different things. But Cubase is the finest DAW out there by far. Pretty much an essential bit of Software for high end music production. Used by everyone for good reason. Pro-Tools is more ubiquitous for recording but for both recording AND midi there’s no contest.

best

e

1 Like

Logic Pro also extremely popular for what it’s worth (especially for Mac users).