I'm tired of playback issues -- Dorico 5.latest

I am very frustrated with Dorico’s playback device setup.
Current project – alto sax solo with 5-staff string orchestra.
I am trying to use my bluetooth wireless headphones. I am using the “Steinberg built-in Asio” driver and Noteperformer. My headphones are connected to the computer, I can playback audio just fine through them from a different program.
My problem with the current file – when I click on any of the notes, they playback just fine.
As I enter the notes, I hear them all just fine.
When I start playback of the full score – no playback at all.
When I start playback of a single staff (selecting a bar and starting Play) – no playback at all.
When I select “scrub playback” I get no playback at all.
It doesn’t matter if I click the Play icon or whether I select a note and hit P I get no playback of the full score.
I have nothing in the score (at least that I can see) which says “don’t play on first pass.”

It was working perfectly a few days ago.

Any advice is welcome!

Changing to a different playback device, the built-in speakers, and the same problems persist today. Notes sound as they’re entered, notes sound when I click on them. Nothing sounds when I initiate playback.

For a start, could you please do from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here? Thanks.
Do you still have the Generic Low Latency Driver installed, or maybe some other driver like ASIO4All or FlexASIO. If so, how does Dorico behave with another driver?
If you don’t have FlexASIO, you could download it for free from here. You simply run the installer, restart Dorico, and it shall turn up in the dropdown list of drivers. I’d be really keen to hear from you, how that driver behaves in your situation.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (467.6 KB)

I had tried it with ASIO4ALL, I tried it with the Generic Low-latency driver. I do have FlexAsio but I may need to install an updated version because what I have no longer works with my Dorico 5.latest installation.

I had a thought a few minutes ago – I had started that file on my iPad and have been working on it on my computer.

I just started a new file, same instruments, and I copied/pasted from the original file into the new file, and the new file plays just fine, both through the computer’s speakers and through my bluetooth headphones. Using the Steinberg built-in Asio Driver everything works now.

So apparently the problem comes from my having started the original file on my iPad and then saving it to DropBox and opening it on my Windows computer.

Thank you, as always, for your great support, Ulf!

You are more than welcome. Please let me know if you have trouble again with the sound.

David, if you run into this problem again in future, although it shouldn’t be necessary, do Play > Playback Template and simply re-apply one of the default playback templates, e.g. the one called HSSE+HSO (Pro). That should get things playing back again.

1 Like

Thank you for that tip, Daniel. Is it an issue when starting a project on iPad and then continuing to work on it on a Windows PC, or do you think it’s peculiar to my particular situation? In any event, it’s good to know of this solution!

In theory Dorico ought to be able to handle that automatically, but in the event that it doesn’t, re-applying the playback template should be a no muss, no fuss solution.

Willthere be an option in a future update to allow reapplying a playback template and keep existing volume and pan settings? It works well to correct playback issues, but requires redoing the volume and pan settings.

@dhbailey
Personally I’m not fan of ASIO4ALL …you can try perhaps:

hope it can help you to try something
Best regards

It’s not something we’d really considered, because typically when you apply a playback template you’re ending up with different sounds than before, in which case it’s unlikely that the volume and pan settings you’d chosen probably wouldn’t apply, but I’ll think on it some more.

Sometimes one reapplies a Playback Template to clean up VST’s (or even just a configuration that combines NP with another VST) that have grown unwieldy or is giving playback oddities. In such a case one wants to preserve as much of one’s prior settings as possible. This has become more important as NP4’s NPPE allows custom output channels from NP into the Dorico Mixer.