import a complex score from SIB to Dorico - freelance engraver required

Hello everyone. I have a large and complex opera score (soloists, chorus, full orchestra, lyrics in two languages) in SIB format, and would need an engraver with expertise in Dorico to help import it via XML into Dorico (including separating the ca. 20 different scenes which are combined in SIB into different flows). If there is a Dorico expert who would be interested in this job, please contact me privately.
Many thanks,
Guy

I’m not bidding for the work, but I will say I think you will be quite happy with the result in Dorico. I had a 20 number opera world premiere I had to do the copyist work for last year. Having full score, parts, and vocal score all in one file with 20 distinct flows and coordinated dialogue scenes between full score and vocal score was great. Not quite perfect yet, since system and staff text can’t be natively hidden between layouts just yet, but approaching perfect.

Just curious Joshua, what do you mean with ‘coordinated dialogue scenes between full score and vocal score’?

The opera had dialogue between flows. Both needed to be in the full score and vocal score layout, but not in parts. By using master pages, I was able to update any dialogue changes and have them natively implemented in both layouts without problem. This was for a world premiere, so there were lots of updates, and having to do them only once and have Dorico do it twice for me was great. You have to set up your master pages pretty well to work between two different page sizes (10x13 for score, 8.5x11 for vocal score) but it worked out fine.

Nice! Getting even more curious now. So what did you exactly? I can think of creating master pages for each and every bit of dialogue in between flows. When it comes to updating the dialogue, you only have to change the text in the master page editor. Or did you use another strategy?

I’m curious how you did this, too, Joshua. I’ve had similar situations and one of the forum contributors (benwiggy) suggested creating separate flow headers for each dialogue. This could then contain a token for ‘other flow information’ which would contain the dialogue. This flow header can then be applied to different layouts. Is this more or less what you did, but then with Master Pages?

Precisely this. A lot of Master Page Changes (and I just about cried when at some point they told me they were adding an Introduction!) but it works perfectly. You have to be careful with the locks on your text frames so that it properly respaces for the different page sizes between Full Score and Vocal score. Finding a good Staff-Relative point size for the font also took some fiddling but worked well.

The Flow Header idea is genius. Interesting thing about that — the “canvas” size of Flow Headers tops out at 3.29" but you can set the text frame height to whatever you want. It takes trial and error but you can have as large a dialogue section as you’d like. I was too far into my project to experiment with that but if I ever had to do it again for full score/vocal score dialogue, I’d probably give it a try.

Thanks for the explanation, Joshua. Very interesting. I wonder which method, i.e. creating a Master Page or a Flow Header for each dialogue, is easier. I ran into the problem of the maximum ‘canvas size’ of the Flow Headers and was ready to abandon the method until I realised that it has no bearing on how much text you can place in it. It does indeed require some trial and error. Is it less so than when using Master Pages? At any rate, this would seem to be something which is often needed, and it would be great if Dorico had an easier way to implement it.