import DDP, burn montage - not the same

Hi Philippe,

That’s weird that the DDP file that I sent you appears fine in WL7. Please zoom in to the start markers for each track. On my WL7 the waveform appears before the marker so a section of music is missing when I burn a CD.

Cheers,
mcz

OK, I see what you mean now. I will have to analyse the case.

That’s great… thanks for taking the time.

Cheers,

mcz

Hi

I was testing WaveLab and Wave Editor with DDP files and found a similar case.

1. DDP created in WaveLab - imported to Wave Editor = no problem.
  2. DDP created in Wave Editor - imported to WaveLab = problem.

I created a simple DDP file containing just two tracks using Wave Editor, then I imported the DDP to WaveLab.
When opened in WaveLab, the first 2 seconds of audio is missing or has been cut off. So for the 2nd track, the track ID is 2 seconds after the actual track start.
Could this be a problem in WaveLab importing DDPs?

@PG
Is there a way to post or send you the files so that you can inspect the problem?

mcz has sent me a DDP file set from Sadie. According to what I can see, this DDP has some wrong values.
More exactly: the start of the 1st track starts obviously at 03:33:17 from the absolute 0 (by looking at the Waveform of the audio data), but the file format specifies the track should start at 03:35:17, which is “too far”. This is like if the DDP file set does not contain the mandatory 2 second data segment.
So, as far as I can see, this is not a problem from WaveLab.
This being said, WaveLab could propose an option “offset the markers by 2 seconds” when importing a DDP file set, to be compatible with this.

Hi PG
Check the jpg even though there is a 2sec pre pause WL doesn’t import it !

Update: I have found a way to detect if a DDP file set contains or not this famous “2 second pause” at the start. This means, in next version, WaveLab will be compatible with the DDP file sets that don’t contain it.

You could use a trick if you can’t wait:
Open the DDP file “image.dat” in WaveLab, using the function File > Open As. Then select 44100 / Stereo…
Then insert exactly 2 seconds of silence at the start of the file. Then save it, as a header-less file (important!!!), that is, as a “Raw file”.
Then you can import the DDP file set and all will be fine.

To modify the image.dat file, you can also use a HEX editor and insert exactly 352800 blanks bytes at the start.

I’m still working on getting a DDP to you that will exhibit the problem, the other mastering house hasn’t gotten back to me. Your initial suggestion that they were using faulty software is a out of order, they’ve never had an issue with a DDP its us Wavelab users that are having issues. In my case it was not a clear 2 sec pre pause issue. It was any track with pregap information in the DDP. A colleague with Sadie said he’d try to build a small DDP that will exhibit the issue. Hopefully this can be corrected, thanks for posting a kludge for the initial 2sec prepause.
I do appreciate your accessibility and frankness but your initial suggestion that this mastering house is the problem is baseless. As a side note, I’m very happy that the DDP option was included in WL7, in was sorely missed in earlier versions.

For me the problem is clear, you don’t need to send me some material.
Next version of WaveLab will take care of this case automatically. This will be transparent for you. I still think it’s not good that the sadie-like DDP file does not include the original 2 second pause, but it does not matter any more.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something - in my case its not only a 2 sec pre pause at the top, its other pre gaps as well. The troubles seem to be between index 0 and index 1, per track.

Right, all indexes 0 and 1 are shifted by 2 seconds. This is because these DDP files don’t include the 2 sec pause at the very beginning.

Yesterday I had burned a DDP in Wavelab from another system…
I’ve to check if the first 2 seconds are missing or not…

Hi PG
I think import audio cd to montage and Cue Sheet import seem to have the same behavior !
So please check them as well.

I think import audio cd to montage and Cue Sheet import seem to have the same behavior !

What behaviour do you mean, exactly?

Importing DDP and Cue-Sheet share some behaviour, but not CD grabbing (or much less).

Hi PG
When importing a audio cd to montage pause times are missing.

OK, but this is another thing. There is no standard grabbing command to get exact pauses. Actually, there is one, but almost never supported. This has been discussed here and there.