import key commands from N8

When I try to import the key command file from N8 (which is an .XML file) N10 says “that is not a key command file”. It’s looking for a .key file. Any ideas for a workaround? Is this supposed to be this way?

Addendum: In the appdata/roaming/N10, Key commands is still an XML file. No .key files anywhere.

.key files are an old holdover from Nuendo 1 days. No idea why that still exists. Copy the XML across.

Could you please explain how to do that? And many thanks if this is the answer!

Not sure if you’re on PC or Mac but on PC copy the file from your N8 folder into C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Nuendo 10_64\Presets\KeyCommands

You should then just be able to load them in via the KC window although N10 should have migrated your N8 data folder over (key commands included).

Yes, that’s the way I understood it. I copied the N8 key commands XML file into the N10 Appdata/Roaming/Steinberg/N10 folder. Overwrote the one that was there. N10 still opens with its own set of Key commands, and when I try to import the XML file in the KC dialogue, it says “Not a .Key File!”

In the past, I’ve done what you suggested for each successive upgrade (starting with N2, I believe!). This is the first time it hasn’t worked. I’m stymied. Thanks for your advice, though.

Also, just FYI, N10 did not migrate the data over; none of it. And didn’t prompt me for migration files.

Just the opposite experience here.
All the Data, including Key Commands, migrated from N8 to N10.

Just checking…when you copied the N8 KC xml to the N10 folder, did you then restart Nuendo10?

Same here

Again, just checking…
N8 stuff is in “Appdata/Roaming/Steinberg/Nuendo 8_64”?
N10 stuff is in “Appdata/Roaming/Steinberg/Nuendo 10_64”?

The main “Key Commands.xml” file goes in at this level, not in the “Presets/KeyCommands” folder?

Yes, I did. I’m going to try re-installing N10. Thanks

You just need to reload the key commands! Just select it again in the Presets dropdown menu.