Import MusicXML from cubase Pro9, chord symbol problem etc..

Hello,

Dorico import very well the musicXML files exported from cubase pro9 …
But …

Only some few problems

• chords had allways the bass note, and sometime not in the right place (see the picture attached) …
  • Sibelius recognized Title and autor but dorico doesn’t …

Here a link to the musicXML file : http://www.lamarmite.fr/aap-jp/Perfidia.xml

We have let the Cubase team know that the export of chord symbols to MusicXML in Cubase is not always entirely correct, and I hope they will be able to make some improvements in this area soon.

OK !! good, MusicXml needs a strong standardization !!

But you saw in picture attached, that you have the same bass note as the fundamental of the chords, in every case it’s not necessary to show it …
you saw also in this picture that Sibelius seems to have made this correction …

If you prefer what Sibelius does, then by all means use Sibelius. Fortunately, nobody is going to stop you.

Dorico imports the chord symbols explicitly as they are declared in the MusicXML file, so if an altered bass note is specified, Dorico imports it, even if it is the same as the root note of the chord: Dorico tries not to guess what might have been meant, though there is a fair amount of guesswork involved in the import of chord symbols in MusicXML because the repertoire of chord symbols that can be described in MusicXML does not map perfectly on to the capabilities of any of the main scoring applications, Dorico included (Dorico can describe the most complex chords of any of the main scoring applications).

I prefer Dorico !!!
but at this time i can’t use it, i need drum score …

For the standardization of MusicXML i saw that Cubase was effectively wrong : http://usermanuals.musicxml.com/MusicXML/MusicXML.htm#CT-MusicXML-harmony.htm

Dorico can describe the most complex chords of any of the main scoring applications

I think that it is not necessary to write too complex chords, the interpretation risks to be less good :cry: . I think you have too write only the essential enrichments and to simplify at the most, otherwise if you have complex harmony, it’s better to write the score directly without chord …
If you use chords, it’s for having an open interpretation …
I often see scores with complex chords which can be well simplify. If the interpreter has some knowledge in harmony (if not, he must return to school), he will understand at once what it is necessary to play …

Hopefully by the time Dorico has percussion notation support, the Cubase developers will have been able to prioritise some improvement in the export of chord symbols in MusicXML. But I can’t make commitments on their behalf, as they have their own roadmap to follow.

With LUA we can soon write plugin which will correct the musicXML errors from other software publisher ?
I look forward that the access to the score objects and fonctionality object of Dorico are available with LUA :slight_smile: .

With such possibilities to write specific plugin your team will be totally freed from the very specific demands to develop Dorico !!!