Import MusicXML into Dorico template causes crash

Is it possible to import a MusicXML file into a Dorico Pro 4.0.20 template? I have exported a score from Finale 26.3 as MusicXML 3.1. I’d like to be able to import it into one of my templates that has everything configured the way I like. However, right after I’m asked in Dorico whether I want to create new players or try to merge with existing ones (I’ve tried both ways), Dorico crashes. I can directly open the MusicXML file in Dorico, but there is a red X flag on every bar on every stave, not to mention all the other layout and configuration issues that need to be corrected. Is what I’m wanting to do possible/practical?

Would you be able to attach the MusicXML file and your template here? Then we can try to work out why it’s crashing.

It would also be helpful if you could do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here, as that should include the crash logs, which could also give us a clue.

Thanks Richard and Daniel. I’m out of town at the moment but will send the files and crash report on Monday when I’m back. Is it possible to send it directly rather than posting it here? It’s proprietary work.

Yes, you can email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.

Just sent, thanks!

I’m having the same problem when importing MusicXML created in Finale 27 to Dorico Pro 5. I’m creating a new project in a template I created, then importing the MusicXML. Dorico gets to 57% and doesn’t go any further. Diagnostic report attached. I’m running Windows 10.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.9 MB)

Tuplets in the original sometimes (often?) cause problems importing.

@Carole_Prietto, sorry you’ve been having problems with MusicXML import. I’ve taken a look at your diagnostics, and in the single crash dump contained within the diagnostics, it looks as if Dorco crashed when you tried to close the project window, perhaps because the software appeared to have hung? Could you attach the after_you_who_ssaa.mxl file you were trying to open, so we can take a look and see if we can spot anything obviously wrong with it?

Hi Daniel - just now seeing your reply, thanks for taking a look. I no longer have the MXL file. I re-imported it as MUSICXML and tried again. I was able to open the project, but the file still had some weird things, like one instance of 6 beats in a 4/4 bar – had to remove those measures entirely, create new measures, and re-input the notes. I’m guessing the original Finale file was corrupt. I tried uploading the MUSICXML file to this note and it didn’t work. If you’d like to see the MUSICXML I can send it to you directly.

If you no longer have the original project and your re-exported version doesn’t crash, there’s probably not much to be gained by sending me the new version. But if you run into this again, please provide the file that brings about the crash as well as the diagnostics, and we’ll look into it.

Will do, thanks.